500g suet
250ml double cream
250g oatmeal, soaked over night in water
250g Pearl barley, boiled for 3mins
1tsp Coriander
1tsp Mace
1tsp Pepper
2tsp Salt

Found and tried this recipe for black pudding but I can't seem to get the texture right, they always come out a bit squidgy and too runny, so much so that it runs out if the stuffer slowly, but still, not really what I was expecting. Is the stuffing supposed to be done whilst the mixture still hot? Or should I be letting it cool first? I always seem to end up with fat (suet) everywhere afterwards. Anyone got any tips on where I'm going wrong? I'm poaching them for 10-15 minutes in 40/43 beef runners so they aren't that thick for black pudds.
andrewe84
Registered Member

Re: Black pudding recipe

Postby Swing Swang » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Would you clarify the first ingredient, is it a litre by volume of dried blood, or a mixture of water and dried blood in unspecified proportions Made up to a litre? A confusion here could explain your results.

Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby andrewe84 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 pm

I have been using 1 litre of blood mixed with water so using 150g of dried blood to 900g water. Then measure a litre from the resulting mixture. The instructions on the bag say to mix in a ratio of 6:1
andrewe84
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:58 pm

My mix is adapted/copied from Sundancers' (via BriCan) found on the forum, it contains 100g dried blood, 700g water, 300g oatmeal ( blitzed porridge, no prior soaking), 100g rusk. Onions are softened in lard before adding to the mix (raw onions contain a lot of water). 50g pearl barley - cooked til soft.

Maybe soaking the oatmeal overnight is adding too much liquid ? Plus, adding cream doesn't seem necessary with all that fat.

Although I use pork fat cut into small cubes, if I was using beef suet then I'd mince it so that it blends better. Maybe this will help prevent it collecting in the filler. By the time 'I've mixed all my ingredients together, it becomes a firm mix and is quite easy to fill wide hog casings.

Hope this helps.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon May 01, 2017 11:16 am

Sorry, that should have read 'Sundodger' not Sundancer. His version of black puddings can be found on the 'Stornaway black pudding' post.
All my ingredients are added cold not hot, which results in a firm mix.

You don't seem to cook them for long - 10 - 15 mins, or is this the secondary cooking time prior to eating them ?
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby andrewe84 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 pm

How long would you poach them for with the cold mix?
andrewe84
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 pm

Could be up to an hour, don't really 'clock' it. I have a wide pan and add hot water but make sure it's below 80.c
then add the puds and bring the temp. slowly back up to but not exceeding 80.c They are cooked on the smallest gas ring on the stove on its lowest setting, so I don't rush them. Puds can split and burst just looking at them - maybe your beef runners are more robust than hog casings.

Once they look done, I insert a temp. guage and check that they are at least 72.c, carefully lift them out, place in a colander and run cold water on them to drop the temp. and set the puds. To reheat, I place them in hot water and give them about 15 - 20 mins to heat through until 'piping' hot, or alternatively, I split them down the middle and grill.

Hope this helps.

Yotmon.
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes