Chorizo Aromatico

Recipes for all sausages

Chorizo Aromatico

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:50 am

Chorizo Aromatico

In their book "The Greatest Sausage Recipes" Stanley and Adam Marianski give a recipe for a Mexican fresh sausage called Chorizo Aromatico. The recipe called for paprika, red chile pepper and cayenne. This struck me as odd since I've been in a number of carnicerias and they have a great number of chiles but none are labeled like that. I've modified the recipe to use Mexican dried chiles to my own taste. I think this chorizo can be easily modified to use chiles that are available and just ancho and arbol (for heat) would make a decent product. In many areas of the US they can be had for low prices. To prepare whole dried chiles for this recipe I cut the stem off with scissors then cut down to open the chile and pull out the seeds. I cut the chiles into one inch squares and soak the chiles in water using a heavy bowl to keep them submerged for about eight hours. I then blend them with some of the soaking liquid into a smooth paste with a blender.

Pork (80/20). 1700 g
Salt. 22.8 g

Held overnight then ground through an 8 mm plate.

Chili paste:

Guajillo. ( 5. ) 14.6 g
Ancho. ( 5. ) 25 g
Arbol. (2. ) 0.6 g
Pasilla. ( 2 ) 7.6 g
Soaking liquid 225 g

Black pepper. 2.9 g
Ground cumin. 6.1 g
Ground cloves. 0.5 g
Ground Allspice. 0.5 g
Ground cinnamon 2 g
Dried thyme. 1.5 g
Dried oregano. 3.0 g
Fresh garlic. 4 cloves finely minced

Apple cider vinegar. 1/3 cup

The vinegar will give the sausage a loose texture and add to the taste. The amount I used is what I like, adjust to taste. To use the amount in the Marianskis' recipe (1/2 cup / Kg), use part of the cider vinegar as chile soaking liquid or switch to dried ground chiles. I package the above in vacuum sealed bags and freeze (after taste test. :D ).

Chiles I used

Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Chorizo Aromatico

Postby spudie » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:36 pm

Hi, you have sparked a desire to go back and read this book. It is full of interesting recipes. I haven't as yet used any of the Chorizo formulations as many of the chilli used are not readily available locally. Supply is getting better. 15 odd recipes will keep me busy :o
Is the vinegar essential as in the past I've had trouble with the bind.
Family are used to the shop bought chorizo which is shelf stable, cooked, smoked and used in small slices. I dont think anyone would have eaten a whole sausage.
Thanks for the bump to raise the interest in the book again.
Old fellow in Oz
spudie
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:12 am

Mexican chorizo is meant to be of a loose crumbling texture; it's not typical to have a good bind. It is often used as a taco filling (I use it to make breakfast quesadillas). There are a wide range of recipes over a wide range of locations that are labeled chorizo. It might be interesting for you to explore new world chilies in old world dry cured sausages.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby badjak » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:12 pm

i'll have to buy pork next time in town.
I like the recipe, but would be tempted to leave out the vinegar. Somehow, it doesn't seem to work for me, although I love lemons/lime/vinegar.
Have you tried it as a (cased) sausage?
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:00 am

I've never tried it that way but it should be good. I would also leave out the vinegar if I was trying to make it into a sausage.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Recipes