Cheese & Pickle

Recipes for all sausages

Cheese & Pickle

Postby Frosty615 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:52 am

First off, Hello!
I've been using the forum for a while now and would like to thank everyone, it has helped me greatly.

Now, I have a friend who wants cheese & pickle (that's branston pickle) sausages. I have made pork and pickle sausages before (and very nice they were too) however, does anyone have a suggestion as to how much cheese to put in?
I'm looking probably at making her about a kilo of saus.

Thanks

Frosty
Frosty615
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:32 pm

I run about 15% cheese by sausage weight. I'll freeze it, cut it into about 3/4 ijnch cubes, then give it one pass through the bull chopper to shatter it. More cheese seems to prevent the meat from binding, less is just not enough.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Thanks

Postby Frosty615 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Excellent, thank you. I'll be doing about a kilo so I'll do about 150g of cheese then.
I'll let you know how they are when she tries them :)
I was just going to grate it using a small grating plate
Frosty615
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Too small of a piece tends to melt and disappear in the smokehouse for me. I use a big smokehouse with fans, and cook at 100 F air temp to get smoke & color, then close the dampers and crank it to 200f to finish cooking, then plunge into an icewater bath to chill. I've noticed the very small bits of cheese disappear in my cooking. I used to freeze the cheese and saw it into a 1/4 inch cube on the bandsaw and it worked great, except for the meat blade has a hell of a kerf so it wasted a lot of cheese. With a good tight stuff the cubes melted but didn't dissipate in the sausage.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Frosty and welcome.Where are you (it helps to know what type of sausage you are looking for.
Welsh Wizard had a recipe for a shropshire blue cheese sausage which was good for me I also made them with apple in which I enjoyed.
You dont get a lot of meat if you do apple and cheese.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Frosty615 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi Jim,
I am from Canterbury in Kent.
I've made the sausage following the 15% cheese that was posted above, using a strong cheddar, which I grated, and a WHOLE tub (about 375g) of Branston sandwich pickle.
I haven't actually tried the sausages yet because a friend wanted them, but I did taste the mixture.
It was really nice, not too strong on the pickle front when actually chewing the mix and a nice after taste of cheese.

I'd be happy to give them another go for personal consumption, but the real results will be back in when my mate gives them a go.
Hope she likes them....she's got 24 to eat!
Frosty615
Registered Member

Postby Polack » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Hello there! I've never heard of a pickle sausage but I am intrigued. Are you from the UK? Is this a fresh sausage or a cured a smoked and if you don't mind, do you have a recipe to share?
Polack
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:04 am

I generally do a 10:1 ratio of meat to cheese FWIW
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am

Frosty,
I agree with Polack about the recipe. Do put in on the forum if you think that it tastes great. I certainly like to try it.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Frosty615 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Hello all,
Sorry about the delayed response,

I've got to admit, I tried them and they were really really cheesy!

I used a strength 5 cheddar from the supermarket and it was pretty intense once cooked in the skins.

I used a standard base recipe from here for the sausage itself and then added 15% of the weight in cheese and 375g of Branston Sandwich pickle for the Americans here, Branston pickle is NOT what you would call pickle, have a look at it here:
http://www.bringoutthebranston.co.uk/

I made about 1.75kg all in all so that's quite a bit of Branston in comparison to the meat itself.
I'd probably go for a lower strength cheese next time, should I do one of these again!
Frosty615
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes