offal sausages

Recipes for all sausages

offal sausages

Postby EdwinT » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:56 pm

I have heard that good breakfast sausages can be made from offal. As the price of pork is going to rocket because of droughts across Europe and the USA (I know you guys in the UK can't believe there has been a drought ;-)), I was thinking of trying to make sausages from offal (whose price is much more stable and lower).

Does anyone know of a good recipe that compares to a pork breakfast or cumberland style sausage?
EdwinT
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:37 pm

There's a jillion recipes out there, just be aware the flavor profile adn texture will not be the same. It's making apple pie with tangerines- probably tasty, but not even close in texture & flavor.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:17 pm

If your offal is the same as our internal parts here, I'll pass.
Meats are getting more expensive but it's sill worth making a quality product, or none at all
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:27 am

Heart is great in about 30%. Some liver carries well and doesn't taste too strong. Pet pigs on Craigslist will stay cheap...
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby largewhite » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:50 pm

This is my favourite sausage. I use pigs liver, kidney, heart and shoulder, mixed to whatever combination you can find, but I use 50 percent in weight of minced belly pork to the minced offal. You do need to bear in mind that the offal ingredients require much less water adding so either reduce the amount of water , or add more rusk to compensate, also more seasoning, especially pepper.
Bon apetite
Lw
food is not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.......gw
largewhite
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:24 pm

I've just finished off a figatellu bought in the local market. This is a Corsican sausage made mainly with pork belly and liver (50/50 according to the tag). Some recipes seem to include blood. Stuffed into hog casings, heavily smoked and dried so they're the thickness of a chipolata, about 20 cm long, and almost black in colour.

I found them a bit too "liver flavoured" to eat raw, but they were good cooked.

There are a few recipes on the interwibbly, mostly in French.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:53 pm

You might want to consider French Andouille and Andouillettes. Not Cajun American. I agree with the others that organ meat sausages will not taste the same as breakfast sausages made with pork muscle meat. The seasonings that work well with pork meat, may not bring out the best in organ meats and offal.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:39 am

I don't make them, although a liver 'slicing sausage' is on my 'things to do' list. That said, I do know that there's a heck of a difference in taste between heart and liver.

I wouldn't fancy liver in a breakfast sausage, but if you had to 'work to a budget', I reckon that you could quite easily hide a bit of heart in there.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby largewhite » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Game seasoning works well with offal as does just salt and pepper. Trials need to be conducted to find your preference, but my recipe contains heart, liver and kidney with the general rule of thumb being the softer the meat, the less of it. I use fifty percent pork belly to the mix for the fat content but also to even out the flavours. I find salt and pepper works well as seasoning.
Andouillettes (tripe sausages) are very much an aquired taste one which a lot of people find repulsive, although I love them.
I have considered making them but have been unable to source the right chitterlings for the job but research in this area continues.
They are usually eaten individually here as an additional course after being slowly grilled.
Regards, Lw
largewhite
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Yes, andouilettes are wonderful (as is andouille, which isn't seen as much as in days gone by).

The chitterlings have been very expensive in UK on the few occasions I've seen them, and I don't recall seeing them on sale at all in France. I guess they all go to the andouille(tte) fabricators. Mind, andouilette isn't cheap to buy.

Wonder if one could make a reasonable sausage using "tripe ordinaire" instead? Any offers?

Martin/

(edit): I've found these: http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-452-Waitrose+venison+and+tripe+sausages+for+dogs
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:55 pm

onewheeler wrote:Wonder if one could make a reasonable sausage using "tripe ordinaire" instead? Any offers?

Martin/

(edit): I've found these: http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-452-Waitrose+venison+and+tripe+sausages+for+dogs

All depends on how we class the sausage ---

My first thoughts after reading this;
Waitrose Deli sausages venison/tripe 8s 60g
Contains:

COMPOSITION, Meat and animal derivatives ( 39% tripe in the sausage with tripe, 5 % venison in the sausage with venison), Derivatives of vegetable origin, Minerals., Additives:Preservatives. Nutritional additives: Vitamin A 5000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 500 IU/kg, Vitamin E 50 mg/kg.

along the lines of a liver pâté :?
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:25 am

Sounds 'Bloody offal' to me :lol: :lol:. I think you can get away with adding a certain percentage of pigs heart in place of pork without changing the product too much, but adding liver etc would make a completely different sausage IMHO.

STe.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby largewhite » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Heart does not have sufficient fat content when making offal sausage but I include it in the overall offal content. So I include approx 50 percent belly pork.
Regards, Lw
largewhite
Registered Member

offal

Postby dorsets21 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:29 pm

i make a meat stick called heart and soul, in it i have heart kidneys tougue pork and a small amount of liver,great when cold with cold beans on toast 8)
ask the question? where does my food come from
dorsets21
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes