Any one in the UK brining their Turkey for Christmas?

Recipes for all sausages

Any one in the UK brining their Turkey for Christmas?

Postby kimgary » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Just wondering and if so any metric measurements of salt etc with times and additional flavourings?
Looking at a 5 to 6 kilo Turkey, (fresh)
Regards Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Was thinking of doing it as well. There's a post by saucisson dated 08/04/2007 which may help.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Gary,
On Wedliny Domowe there is a recipe that lists 7UP as an ingredient in the cure line up.
Most people that tried it on turkey as well and chicken are still raving on about it. Great taste, moist, wives love it. Hell, what more does a guy want.
I am going to give a couple of chickens a trial run as it might change my way of thinking about roast chicken/turkey.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby tomwal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:32 am

Have just bought 2 huge turkey legs from Morrisons £3 each, I would like to brine these, does anyone have a good recipe or any ideas, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

Postby shanew » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:31 pm

The original recipe linked above works a treat, one thing i have noticed though is the mention of the juices being of bad taste. I've not found this at all.

As a general brine for poultry i dissolve salt in water until no more will dissolve. i then add the juice of a squeezed lemon and the squeezed remains of the lemon. some pepper corns, a bay leaf and sometimes a splash of woustershire sauce. I have no specific measures and the spices only add a very subtle, if at all noticable taste. My ingnorant opinion is that the brine draws natural moisture out of the meat so during cooking it acts like a sponge and draws the fat in.
Save the enviroment, we cant afford to loose more animals, what will we use for variety in sausges, i for one would have liked a dodo banger!
shanew
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:25 pm

I've been brining holiday birds over here for years for family and customers both, and I cant' recommend it enough. Allrecipe.com and foodnetwork.com both have recipes, if you want to bother running conversions on them.

Personally, I take my standard pork brine I mix up, cut it to about 2/3 strength with apple juice, throw in whatever herbs look interesting, some juniper berries, couple cloves crushed garlic, that sort of thing. I submerge the bird in a bucket, put a weight on top to hold it under and leave it in the cooler for a few days to a week, depending how busy I am. I try to under salt rather then over in that case.

Like my grandpa used to say "Stop thinking so hard, it's not a damn piano." Have some fun with it.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby tomwal » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:23 am

Have recently brined 2 huge turkey legs and thighs, as I didnt have any 7up as suggested so I used lemonade and fresh lime juice, salt, sugar and a drop of liquid smoke, brined for about 10 hours then roasted as usual, turned out delicious, very moist and plenty of good turkey flavour, going to try a couple of whole chicken next, dont think I would be brave enough to brine the Christmas turkey (just in case).

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes