Anyone got a recipe for a honey & mustard sausage?

Recipes for all sausages

Anyone got a recipe for a honey & mustard sausage?

Postby corromant » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:23 pm

As the subject states, has any one got a recipe for pork with honey & mustard sausage?

I'm currently formulating a recipe for use tomorrow but if someone can give me some idea of the quantities of honey & mustard to use I would be grateful.

Thanks

Conrad
corromant
Registered Member

Postby corromant » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Guess no one has a recipe for this, had a go anyway & ended up with 30g of honey & 60g wholegrain mustard to 1kg of pork with salt & pepper as well. I don’t find the mustard comes through enough for me.

When I try again I may try a small amount of English mustard as well & alter the seasoning a little, I will give it some thought.
corromant
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Not used mustard in a sausage, but have bought them ready made and the flavour was quite pronounced. Have you any dry mustard powder to try (thinking Colemans Engish mustard powder in the yellow tin), rather than the 'wet' type - it may give a more in-depth flavour.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:25 pm

I think if i were going to do one, I'd make a sweet hot honey pub mustard with ale, starting with Colman's dry, and go from there. Intense mustard with a touch of sweetness. Honey mustard gets overdone, here, and I don't particularly care for the combination, anymore.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Oddwookiee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:58 pm

I've used both a ton in sausages over the years. I don't have a recipe, just a couple tips-

use dried mustard. Either buy whole seeds and grind yourself or buy the powder. You can get better consistency & control of flavor using the pure beast. Store-bought mustard usually has god knows what in it, as well as a vinegar that can screw with the binding capabilities of your sausage. Use dry, bloom on the counter in a bit of water (think thin paste) for 20 minutes, then into the mix.

If you use honey, you may have to lower the water content of yoru sausage (obviously). The honey will also make the sausage feel sloppier at first. I always let it rest overnight, at least 6 hours, before stuffing to give it a chance to firm up. Also, unless you use a light flavored or pure clover honey, there's always the possibility of the honey's floral notes coming through. Not always a bad thing, but can be unexpected.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby corromant » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Yes I have mustard powder which I was going to use next time but I will also add some very coarsely ground whole mustard seed as well.

Thanks for your input.

Conrad
corromant
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes