Smoked Venison sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Smoked Venison sausage

Postby mohoghead » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:35 pm

I was kinda rushed to get these done in time for Christmas, they are venison/beef/pork and smoked. I am now hooked. The kids and grandkids enjoyed them.

Located close to Caledonia, Missouri, USA
mohoghead
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Mohog,
Just let us all have the recipe and your procedure, there are other members that probably like to get hooked as well.
They look good.
This coming winter I should be fully set up with a coolroom/curing chamber, so I am collecting tried and tested recipes.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby mohoghead » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:06 am

We were making cheese today so i'm just getting back to this, the venison came off our farm, the beef is range fed longhorn i got in a barter and the pork came from a organic neighbor.
3 lb. venison
4 lb. beef
3 lb pork shoulder
5 T morton tender quick
5 t garlic powder
5 t onion powder
5 t mustard seed
5 t cracked peppercorns
5 t paparika
5 t liquid smoke
2 1/2 cups water
diced all meat and mixed with dry spices, covered and refrigerated overnight,
Ground coarsely and added the smoke and water,blended well and stuffed in 2" calogeen casings,
refrigerated again overnight.
started them in smoker at 130 degree until casing was dry.
raised it to 150 degree for one hour
raised it to 165 degree added the hickory wood chips and smoked it til internal temp was 152 degree, showered in cold water til internal temp was down to 110, let them hang for 30' then refrigerated.
Passed some of them out christmas day.
thats all of my notes, except to add that it probably took longer in the smoker even though it's insulated as we were at 30 degrees outside with a 25 mph northwest wind. but it was worth it.
mohoghead
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:19 am

Thank you Mohog,
I will have to try out the addition of liquid smoke. I have it here but never used it. Does it increase the smoke flavour a lot?
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Liquid smoke will very much crank up the smoke flavor, but a little goes a long way. There are two things I really don't like about it, though.

It is acidic, and can make the bind of a sausage squirrelly. I made a sausage I added liquid smoke to and was never really happy with the tooth at the end, it tended to me softer, looser or a little bit....off.

Liquid smoke will react with sodium nitrite if they come into direct contact with each other. Mixed into a meat product separately, you'll notice just a hair of a chemical tang, like ozone around a power station. If you put liquid smoke straight onto dry sodium nitrite (not tenderquick, the concentrated pink stuff) it'll knock you for a loop. I don't know what gas it releases, but it's caused headaches, lightheadedness and a burning feeling inside my nose.

It's a decent product, but I don't like using it if I'm going to be smoking something anyway. On a home product where you can't put real smoke to it, it's fine. If something is going to be hung in a smokehouse and get real smoke, leave it out. Simple is always better.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Oddwookiee,
Thanks for that advise!!!!! I won't be using it as I have 2 smoke houses, a large one and a 6ft tall one and they need to be used as much as possible.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby mohoghead » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:24 pm

I found using the liquid smoke just right, having passed out some at different functions over the holidays everyone has remarked how much better it tastes then store bought, especially with the reduced amount of salt and fat, i never noticed a chemical taste, but then i don't have a chemical degree, just good taste buds.
So the option is try it or not.
mohoghead
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes