Does anyone have a recipe for yachtwurst?

Recipes for all sausages

Does anyone have a recipe for yachtwurst?

Postby cutlass1972 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:07 pm

I would liek to make something similar to usingers yachtwurst.
cutlass1972
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:14 am

Cutlass,
Google "hunters sausage" thats what jachtwurst actually is, although everybody that makes it adds their own spices to suit themselves.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby cutlass1972 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:10 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Cutlass,
Google "hunters sausage" thats what jachtwurst actually is, although everybody that makes it adds their own spices to suit themselves.
Good Luck,
Jan.

I have seen a number of hunter sausage recipes in several books and online. I will give them a try. Specifically I think it is the sour hint in usingers yachtwurst I like. Anyone have any idea what provides that flavor in their sausage? Fermento maybe? Thanks for the reply!
cutlass1972
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Cutlass,
Other members will advise you how to get this taste, I am only a beginner, although I have been making sausage and smoking food for many years, compared to all the brains on the forum I an still an apprentice.
The sourish taste usually comes from the fermentation with certain ingredients.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby cutlass1972 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:48 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Cutlass,
Other members will advise you how to get this taste, I am only a beginner, although I have been making sausage and smoking food for many years, compared to all the brains on the forum I an still an apprentice.
The sourish taste usually comes from the fermentation with certain ingredients.
Good Luck,
Jan.

I am familiar with fermentation to acquire the sour lactic acid, but I do not think that is the case in yachtwurst as it is an emulsified sausage, so being as you can never have it above 46ish degrees or the fat will break I cannot see any fermentation taking place. I did some more research and I think they might put buttermilk in it. I am working on an emulsified sausage right now, and am experimenting with the buttermilk idea. I will let you know how it comes out.
cutlass1972
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes