low fat beer and chocolate sausage.

Recipes for all sausages

low fat beer and chocolate sausage.

Postby captain wassname » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:05 pm

I finally got round to it

the beer

the sausage Cumberland style.

wanted a different flavour profile than my previous effort.
I used this beer after trying many.I wanted a lager type beer so that it would be lighter and less bitter to allow the bitterness of the chocolate to notice..The beer is a Belgian abbey brew.
I used pork loin from Morrisons they had it on offer at £4.50 per kilo (English not vac packed and cut off the loin before your eyes) I skinned it and removed all visible fat after grinding I ended up with 1.5 kg of mince.
To this I added 12 gms of fat replacer which came from the USA. Ithen took 750 gms for my sausage.
The recipe.

750 gms pork 66%
28 gms of pork and leek spice mix (from Tim) 2.5%
68 gms soya protien 6%
284 gms beer 25%
2.75 gms 100% cocao chocolate, 0.25%

This was altogether different from my peat smoked porter recipe and I reccomend it strongly.
The fat replacer could be subbed with tapioca starch ,Im not sure if there is a decent non alcoholic lager out there.
Will probably increase the chocolatea bit next time.
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Re: low fat beer and chocolate sausage.

Postby JerBear » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:34 am

I've been pretty skeptical of low/reduced fat sausages. What are your thoughts? Was there any negative effect on taste or texture?
JerBear
Registered Member

Re: low fat beer and chocolate sausage.

Postby captain wassname » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 am

Hi I used a product from The Sausagemaker.Buffalo. Its used @8oz for 60 lbs meat.(any lean meat) I worked that out to be 8 gms per kilo.
It works very well and gives a good texture.Problem if Im running low and shipping charges to the UK are expensive.
Ive used tapioca starch at a rate of 3% of weight of meat and that works well but does lower the meat content a little.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes