Veggie sausage required.

Recipes for all sausages

Veggie sausage required.

Postby yotmon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi everybody, both daughters decided to go veggy over a year ago and the only sausage they will now eat are the 'Linda McCartney' ones. These are cooked from frozen and although ive never tasted them, they say that they are 'nice' ! I was thinking that they can't be hard to make so I'm looking for a recipe that would produce a similar type of sausage - probably made skinless and also cooked from frozen. I do have some 'Quorn' mince in the freezer that I though could be used. Any suggestions ?

Cheers, Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Veggie sausage required.

Postby onewheeler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 pm

I'd wondered the same thing, the girl-child is of the veggie tendency. :cry: What's worse, she doesn't like most vegetables.

The best veggie burgers I've had were from this recipe:

http://foodhospital.channel4.com/foods/homemade-bean-burgers/

and they are very, very good. (Possibly even better with a couple of slices of bacon on top). I had wondered about doing something similar, but mushed up and put into Franco's new veggie casings.

Maybe quorn, couscous and some harissa to liven it up a bit?

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Check on the Marianski's site Wedlinydomowe.com they have 6 or 7 of them. here's one;
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... rankfurter

I got most everything I need to try one of these recipes, except for a good reason. But I still plan to attempt one someday, just to see what it ends up tasting like.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Cheers guys, problem is they can't stand beans - baked beans, kidney beans, or even chick peas ! If they knew I had used them in the sausage I'd get a point blank refusal. If I used the quorn mince and some filler ie rusk/tapioca/polenta and water, plus normal sausage seasoning to give it taste, how can I make them moist/juicy without adding fat, or would a spoonful of veg oil cover that issue ?

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:20 pm

3% by weight of the quorn should do the biz.
Cant swear by it as Ive only used with low fat meat.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Roasted mushrooms?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:49 pm

yotmon wrote: how can I make them moist/juicy without adding fat, or would a spoonful of veg oil cover that issue ?

Yotmon.

I've use Captains Wassname's 3% tapioca starch with good results. but you might also try TVP (Textured vegetable protein) or maybe tofu.
you could combine the vegi oil with water and some soy protein isolate and make a thick emulsion . (one more thing on my list of things to try)
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Linda McCartney Sausage wrote:Rehydrated Textured Wheat Protein (63%), Vegetable Oil, Water, Pea and Wheat Protein (4%), Flavourings, Rusk, Stabilisier - Hydroxy Propyl Methyl Cellulose, Textured Wheat Protein Contains: Wheat Starch, Flavourings Contain: Dextrose, Salt, Onion, Yeast Extract, Colour Red Iron Oxide, Rusk Contains: Wheat Flour, Salt.

Each to their own; It's not for me, but this give some idea as to how to clone them.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Think it might be easier to adopt a meat-eater ! :D Have to laugh that the colour in the sausage comes from rust :shock: What really annoys me is they would eat anything that moved one time, just these silly fads that they all go through - at least daughter no.2 has started to try fish in her diet.
Capt. wassname do you have a link to your sausage or at least the title so I can look it up.

Cheers. Yotmon.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 pm

How about, rather than trying to imitate a meat sausage, go with something that's actually meant to be what it is: the good old Glamorganshire Sausage is a good one to start with.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/glamo ... with_64911

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/p ... ges-recipe

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/512915

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby onewheeler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:09 pm

+1 for the Glamorgan sausage.

Might be worth experimenting with soya chunks. They're dirt cheap in Holland & Barret, I've got a big bag downstairs unopened/ You need moisture: a "soggy" vegetable like cooked mushrooms or aubergine would help. Cheese for flavour and savouriness.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 am

sorry I wasnt too clear basically just sub quorn for meat in any sausage recipe and add tapioca starch at 3% by weight of quorn Thats 30 gms TS to a kilo of quorn then as per your recipe.
You may need to adjust liquid levels.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6861&p=59738&hilit=low+fat+sausage#p59738

Not really a recipe more a ramble about low fat sausage which is essentially what a quorn sausage is.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks Jim, will need to pick up some Tapioca to try it but does sound easy enough to make. Will let you know how I get on.
Wheels - re' the Glamorgan sausage recipes, they said they'd already tried them and didn't like them, ah well...

Yotmon.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:27 pm

The Wedlinydomowe recipes make use of 'oil emulsion':

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... l-emulsion

Has anyone any experience of using this?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:41 pm

wheels wrote:
Has anyone any experience of using this?

Phil

Not yet Phil, but I just bought some Soy Protein Isolate last week and it was delivered Friday. I hope to give it a go very soon.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes