irish sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Re: irish sausage

Postby shnork » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:36 pm

ok here's my reduced recipe

2 lbs ground pork ( pork shoulder 80/20 ratio)

2 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp coriander
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp mace
1/4 tsp ginger
3 oz rusk or plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup water

the next batch I make I might add a little more white pepper and ginger but overall I was pretty happy with the results
shnork
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:25 pm

I was interested in this recipe but in the end I settled for a bit of a hybrid. I followed Phil's Cambridge sausage formula on his blog as I'm experimenting with using scalded rice, but used the seasoning of Bri-Can's Dublin recipe with a slight change. The salt worked out a bit low, so I increased it from 10g to 15g and included Mace for half of the Nutmeg. Below is the batch that I made up into 12 decent sausages.

985g Pork and fat.
65g Rusk. (home made following Parson snows recipe).
200g Scalded rice. (Added a tiny drop of red food colouring to give a nice pink tinge).
20g Water. (mix appeared a little dry so added a splash.)
Seasoning -
15g Salt. (Originally 10g)'
4.16g Ground white pepper.
2.5g Coriander
4.16 Nutmeg (substituted 2.08g of Mace for half the Nutmeg).
The mix smelled really good and I'll be trying them on toast for breakfast in the morning, so I'll let you know how they turned out.

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:00 am

That's an interesting recipe.

Although nutmeg and mace are from the same source, they have a very different taste.

Please let us know how these taste: sometimes a simple recipe is what's needed; I have a gut feeling that you might have hit on one.

Phil :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Well, the OH grilled the aforementioned sausages for breakfast to a nice golden brown colour. They were served with hot toast and 'Branston' brand baked beans, they looked the part and gave off a good aroma. They tasted very good indeed, but I must admit they seemed 'spicy' and gave off some heat to the throat - which I liked. The white pepper didn't appear too high in quantity so I'm wondering if the raised amount of salt accentuated the spices ? I remember recently a chef saying that if you put pepper into boiling water you won't be able to taste anything, yet if you put it into salted water, then it will taste of pepper. Maybe substitute half black pepper for the white but keep it at the original amount. Re' the Nutmeg, I did think it would dominate the flavour, so that's why I substituted half the amount with Mace. I think Mace has a more 'refined' flavour and compliments other spices. Then again, maybe I should have tried the original recipe in its entirety as a base to build on. :?

I like adding scalded rice into the mix rather than just rusk and water as in my opinion it gives a nicer texture.

Overall, a very decent flavoured sausage and one that would go well with a 'full English' (or even Irish). Next time, I'll have them with mashed potato (Champ style) and cabbage to carry on with the Irish theme - oh, and maybe a bottle of stout :wink:

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:35 pm

yotmon wrote:...I like adding scalded rice into the mix rather than just rusk and water as in my opinion it gives a nicer texture.

Mrs Wheels agrees with you. She prefers rice to rusk.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby shnork » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:59 pm

i found that as well when i tried the first batch and was tweaking the recipe to my tatse, that a little extra salt really did a lot to bring out the flavors, i dropped off a few to a local merchant who runs a british/ irish import shop. His dad was a butcher and he would make sausage in his dads shop as a kid, i have'nt spoken to him yet to get his thoughts on the flavoring compared to what he had as a child.

james
shnork
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes