irish sausage

Recipes for all sausages

irish sausage

Postby shnork » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:33 pm

I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a irish sausage that is a similar to a galtee sausage. I have tried to making my own without success as of yet. I did try wheels recipe, but it was not the exact flavor I was looking for. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Also has a one tried the premixed spices from Franco's.

ps i am in the states

thanks in advance
shnork
Registered Member

Re: irish sausage

Postby wheels » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi, welcome.

Just to clarify, is it the Galtee White pudding that you're trying to copy, or the Galtee sausage?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby shnork » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:35 pm

yes the galtee sausage
shnork
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Ah, that explains it. The Irish sausage that Johnfb and I worked on was an Irish White Pudding: a different beast altogether.

An Irish supermarket lists the ingredients in their Galtee sausage as:

Pork (50%),Water ,Pork Fat ,Rusk (Wheatflour, Salt) ,Mustard Powder ,Salt ,Wheatflour ,Dextrose ,Stabiliser (Sodium Triphosphate) ,Flavour Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate) ,Preservative (Sodium Sulphite) ,Yeast Extract ,Spices ,Antioxident (Ascorbic Acid) ,Spice Extracts ,Colour (Carmine) ,Beef Casings

http://tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256874523

I don't know whether that's the type that's exported, but the nearest recipes to it on the forum would be in the threads where people are trying to make a sausage to match 'lower meat content' varieties.

The threads here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10855

and here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9067

would be a good starting point.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:57 pm

If you are just after the flavor and are not caught up by the texture, the spicing from the ingredient list does not seem too complex. Mustard powder, salt, MSG, and pepper should get you mostly there. Are any other spices noticeable?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby shnork » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:23 am

not so much concerned about the texture , when I tried wheels recipe I just added extra ginger and mace that got the flavor closer , I have never hag imported galtees I as youngling I would spend the summers working on my grandparents farm in county Clare and the best sausages that I remember came from a butcher in kilrush a few towns away , there is an Irish butcher in queens new York who makes good sausage but I doubt he would give any secrets away, I heading down that way to visit my family for a week so hopefully a run into the butcher for some sausages and black pudding, :) yum

james
shnork
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Ah, that's different. So you're not after the branded Galtee Sausage made by subsidary of the €5.8 billion turnover Kerry Group, in particular? But you are after a sausage known by the generic name of a Galtee sausage in Co. Clare? Or, is the Galtee bit somewhat of a 'red herring' and it's just a typical Co. Clare sausage that you're after?

If you could elabourate a bit more maybe something will ring a bell with one of our members, particularly those living on Erin's Green Isle.

As it is at present, without any idea of the flavour profile, or the ingredients, it's very difficult to help.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby shnork » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:44 pm

galtee sausage was the closet thing I could think of regarding flavor , I truthfully don't know how different
a local butcher shop sausage would be to a commercial brand. the pork used was I 80/20 blend , but I don't know what part of the pig it was taken from iv'e seen recipes calling for pork shoulder or even pork butt to be ground with 20% back fat so I;m open to keep on experimenting till I get I flavor I like, I did nosh on some of the cold sausage and the flavor wasn't bad what do think about allspice in the mix ,I have seen that in some blends as well .

james
shnork
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 am

Not come across this sausage before but I have an Irish sausage recipe from Dublin that was sauced by a client of mine for their place .... along the lines of a cumberland but with some changes on the spices I am in Toronto at the present and will be home next week and will look the recipe up if you like
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby shnork » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:38 pm

that would be great , i'll be heading out of town monday anway , so wont be able to try any thing till next week when i get back

thanks james
shnork
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:08 am

As promised shnork

Irish pork sausage

(this did as I said come from a butcher in Dublin)

12 Lbs. pork shoulder

Spices

60 gm salt
25 gm white pepper
15 gm coriander
25 gm nutmeg

1 lb. Rusk
water

hope this helps
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby shnork » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:29 pm

thanks for the recipe i will try to reduce the ratios so i can do a smaller batch

james
shnork
Registered Member

Postby shnork » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:17 pm

just want to say thanks, tried the recipe today in reduced batch and added just a little more salt , then some ginger and mace after tasting as I went, and I am pretty happy with the results.

james
shnork
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:03 am

shnork wrote:just want to say thanks, tried the recipe today in reduced batch and added just a little more salt , then some ginger and mace after tasting as I went, and I am pretty happy with the results.

james

Glad thinks worked out to your liking :D

If their is any chance of posting your revised recipe as it might help others, please do
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby shnork » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:54 pm

i'll post it later tonight once i get home am at work now, i only did a 2lb batch, but the wife thought they were very tasty :)
shnork
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes