Wild Hog Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Wild Hog Sausage

Postby sawhorseray » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Found out the other day that I'll be getting my hip replaced right after the new year begins. That has spurred a rush of cooking activity to have enough food I like in the deep freeze, and to avoid my wife's cooking. I had some cubed meat from this hog I whacked in early June and processed myself.
I thawed out a 14lb. load of wild hog meat and eight pounds of domestic porkbutt for 22 pounds of meat. I set out the ingredients of a pack of PS Seasons 260-B Italian sausage mix, one bottle cold cabernet, and a knob of fresh garlic. Oh, two pounds of backfat also!
Ran everything thru a medium plate on my grinder
Everything went for a ride in the meat mixer to combine the wine, garlic, and spices with the meat, then into the fridge overnight while I got all the gear cleaned up and put away. The next morning I set up the stuffer and got busy.
I like to let my sausage links set up in the freezer for about 90 minutes before shrink-wrapping to help maintain good form and not squish the ends on the casing, presentation is important.
Next week I'll try to get busy smoking some chickens to have on hand in the future. Right now it's time to get my boat out on the Sacramento river and see if the salmon have arrived! RAY
Life is good!
sawhorseray
Registered Member

Re: Wild Hog Sausage

Postby wheels » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Amazing. For someone living in the UK, my perception of California is not of hunting wild-boar.

Just shows how wrong you can be.

Is the stuffer powered?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sawhorseray » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Yes, the stuffer came from Cabelas and I purchased the electric motor that is operated by a on-off foot pedal. All my sausage gear is SS commercial grade stuff that has come from Cabelas. I've had a Cabelas Visa card for many year and make all my purchases on it, food, gas, bills, everything. I pay off the balance every month, never pay interest. I manage to accrue about $700-$800 a year in free shopping from Cabelas. I got my smoker, grinder, sausage stuffer, meat mixer, and meat slicer all for pretty much nothing over the years, all excellent quality gear.

I've killed about 70 wild hogs in California in my hunting career, also about a dozen buck deer, it's a great place to live for a man who likes to hunt and fish. The mountains, rivers, lakes, and the ocean are all within a short drive for me. RAY
Life is good!
sawhorseray
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks Ray, that's interesting.

All the best for the op.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:12 am

Ray,
After your operation you will be able to go jogging. Do remember that you will be walking around the ward after you wake up, obviously with some help though.
You'll be pleased with the results. I speak from experience.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes