dried blood

Recipes for all sausages

Re: dried blood

Postby GUS » Mon May 18, 2015 8:04 am

I nearly opted for that one, however couldn't find it when needed, & when visiting your site wheels you only had white pudding listed, :cry: ..which i've never tried, so it "must" be poison :roll:

Shame, however I would delete that recipe (the one we both used) as it is truly awful, akin to aftershave in the batch mix.

What is the typical ratio of oats / water soak? I make porridge most days & know it'll suck up liquid matter till the cows come home, so it strikes me as a fall down on a recipe front not quantifying liquid ratio to that specific item.

Oh well the dog will be happy but I feel it is going to be a mess to cook.

One other thing, your water bath time will be dependent upon thickness of skin filled (from sheep-ox-etc) how much time should you allow bathing for a catering size fibrous skin d'ya think (anyone) ..I couldn't find any detail anywhere.

Seems something of an ommitance.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby Goaty » Mon May 18, 2015 8:57 am

I use

36% water
4% blood
10% oatmeal.

I haven't really measured times but from memory hog skinned ones are about 30 minutes to a couple of hours for (large) synthetic casings.

They float when they're ready.
Goaty
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Mon May 18, 2015 9:45 am

Thankyou Goaty that puts my mind at ease, I was rolling them, for the rest of the day in order to get them approaching what I guessed was cooked, with the aid of a couple of thermomotors. (thank goodness for tablet pc's in the kitchen).

Will be really scrupulous defrosting & cooking en masse.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue May 19, 2015 6:12 am

75mm x 61cm (24") F+ BLACK casings ... these take 4 hours to be fully cooked

Water bath should not exceed 185F ... I try and hold at 175F

This is 200lbs cooking a few weeks ago

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Tue May 19, 2015 7:52 am

You are shaming me now bri-can :oops:
(I did spend ALL the day into the late evening standing over one at a time, but clearly not long enough)
shows how unprepared I was for this size casing, after several hours I cooled & stuck em straight in the freezer, so whilst I wont be eating them, ..as reiterated the excess pudding I baked off in the oven was vile, to the point where I need to merely think of that overpowering mace & i'm put off) ..not good, & why I recommend for striking that precise recipe from the sites annals, historically it may be viewed as another Vietnam in terms of sausage.

"dog food"

One thing I forgot to mention, how handy those macs heat proof bbq gloves were for quick pouring & filling of the pudding mix through my aluminium jam funnel, allowed for good grip & vigourous shaking, wouldn't be without em, yet would never think to have bought them.

Live & learn :wink:
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

GUS
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue May 19, 2015 8:35 am

GUS wrote:You are shaming me now bri-can :oops:

Its a pity you did not look at the photo closer :wink: :lol:

(I did spend ALL the day into the late evening standing over one at a time, but clearly not long enough)

I used to only do six at a time ... try it with 42 logs x 4 hours = :cry: :cry:

shows how unprepared I was for this size casing, after several hours I cooled & stuck em straight in the freezer, so whilst I wont be eating them, ..as reiterated the excess pudding I baked off in the oven was vile, to the point where I need to merely think of that overpowering mace & i'm put off) ..not good, & why I recommend for striking that precise recipe from the sites annals, historically it may be viewed as another Vietnam in terms of sausage.

"dog food"

You need a decent spice recipe :lol:

One thing I forgot to mention, how handy those macs heat proof bbq gloves were for quick pouring & filling of the pudding mix through my aluminium jam funnel, allowed for good grip & vigourous shaking, wouldn't be without em, yet would never think to have bought them.

My mix is always cold so have no problem in handling :mrgreen:

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Tue May 19, 2015 9:52 am

Apart from the spice mix, the other big problem with the recipe I stumbled upon seems to be the amount of blood used. Every other recipe seems to use far, far less blood, which should result in a much firmer BP.
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby kenny444 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:03 am

Hello, could you comment please about getting a firmer B/P and adjusting the seasoning.

My thoughts were less onions, using rice (gluten free) boiled rested then it is less wet.

Soaking the Oats in some of the blood mixture or draining them earlier.

Thank you

Kenny444
kenny444
Newly Registered

Postby sundodger » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:57 am

Hi Guys...Been away for a while, but just thought I could add something to this one.
Started making black pud around two & a half years ago & with more than a little help from the good folk on here ! No where near the producion runs of BriCan, but have made around 20kilos a month of black pudding, both casings & links, which amonst other things, have very successfully sold at a local market.
I use dried blood from off this site & use it at a ratio of one part blood to 6-7 warm water.
My recipe is as follows & I would add is favoured by local expats around here, many from Lancashire & even Bury itself :-
Makes around 6 casings

Dried blood 500 grms
Water 3.5 litres
Backfat (small diced) 1200 grms
Oatmeal 1500 grms (I use rolled oats & just process them down to meal) I do not soak
Rusk 500 grms
Pearl barley 250 grms (dry weight - Boil before use)
Chopped onion 500 grm.

Seasoning
Salt 140 grm
Black pepper 35 grm
Coriander 25 grms
Allspice 5 grm
Mint 5 grm
Cumin 3 grm
Cloves 3 grm

Mix well together all ingredients & fill casings or skins.
I then place in boiler with water temp kept at a constant 80c & remove when core temp of puddings has reached 75c & maintained same for around half an hour.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:06 am

Thanks, sundodger. I'll try my hand at black pudding again one day, but the memory of the last batch still gives me nightmares :roll:
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to make up dried blood with liquids other than water? I'm thinking maybe cider or wine but I worry that the acidity might cause it to coagulate or something? Maybe beer would be safer. If it works it would be a great way to get more flavour into a black pudding.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby Goaty » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Yes, you can.

I make one with a porter that we call "None More Black".

It's very good but ramps the cost up substantially.

Haven't tried cider but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Goaty
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:47 am

Goaty wrote:I make one with a porter that we call "None More Black".

Do you use 1:1 when substituting the water for porter?

I tried some lovely Portuguese black beers while I was over there last week, including the superb Praxis Dunkel from the brewery in Coimbra. I think they'd work quite well, as they have quite a mild, but very nice flavour.
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:32 pm

>Praxis Dunkel

New one on me - looking forward to imbibing - hopefully it knocks the rather average Sagres Preta into touch - SS
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:01 am

It's worth a trip to the Praxis brewery. The food was really nice too - I recommend the ribs!

You can also fill up empty containers with beer, if you take them. They'd ran out of bottles last week :roll:
kil2k
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes