How Much Cayenne Pepper?

Recipes for all sausages

How Much Cayenne Pepper?

Postby Wal Footrot » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:13 am

With the aid of my local butcher I am making a special batch of Saveloys. The issue I have had in the past has been with the pepper. I prefer white pepper but to get that little bit of bite/heat I have to add quite a lot and this leaves the Savs with a slightly bitter aftertaste. I've solved this in the past by reducing the white pepper and adding a dash/sprinkle of cayenne. This is with 5 kg of meat. The butcher and I are going to make a batch using 15 kgs of meat and the 'sprinkle', while it worked for 5 kgs is too inaccurate for this larger amount.

So how much cayenne would you add? I don't want to make hot sausage a la Worcester Sausage but I want a bit of peppery bite which all the good saveloys should have. I was thinking of a teaspoon but, this could be too much. All ideas happily accepted.
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Re: How Much Cayenne Pepper?

Postby DanMcG » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:40 am

I think it all comes down to personal preference so some experimenting will be in order. I think 2g per Kg would be noticeable but not hot. 2 grams is about a teaspoon, if you don't have a scale.
My hot links use 8g per kg and still aren't hot for some people
DanMcG
Registered Member

Re: How Much Cayenne Pepper?

Postby Wal Footrot » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:24 am

I'm going to semi answer my own post. A quick check of a couple of websites suggests that half a gram per kilo would work quite well so this would mean about 7-8 gms for the 15 kilos of meat. This is about a third of the amount of nutmeg, mace or pepper I would normally add. it still sounds a little bit high as cayenne has quite a high heat rating but there is only one way to find out I suppose. if anyone has any experience with the amounts suggested it would be good to hear from you.
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes