Woodpigeon Sausages

Recipes for all sausages

Woodpigeon Sausages

Postby ratman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Having access to some woodpigeons I decided to make some bangers to see how they would turn out.
I removed the breasts (200 in total) and put through the coarse mincer with around 5lb of good pork shoulder. Pigeon is a very dry meat with virtually no fat so it does need quite a bit of fat content added. I added 2 tins of cider, half a bottle of white wine, a good handful of ground black pepper, a little salt, garlic powder, onion powder, 2 jars of wholegrain mustard and 6 large table spoons of whole mustard seeds. I then added a kilo of pin head rusk and two packets of sage, thyme and red onion stuffing mix. 2 small bags of dried cranberries were cut up and added before running the entire mix back through the coarse grinder again. I dont like a mushy sausage so I did not mince any finer as the consistency felt just right. I made 150 fat sausages and let them dry a little before packing them down. I can only say WOW, well worth the bother !!! really good flavour and the warmth of the black pepper and mustard seeds is really pleasant.
For all things country and great recipes http://www.countryways.uk.com
ratman
Registered Member

Re: Woodpigeon Sausages

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:01 pm

That sounds like a wonderful recipe. I have access to wood pigeons and will give this try in the new year.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:09 am

200 breasts is a lot of work, I'm glad it was worth the effort. How would you describe the taste of woodpigeons? Are they close to duck?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Snags » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:09 am

Probably closer to quail
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:26 pm

NCPaul wrote: How would you describe the taste of woodpigeons? Are they close to duck?

I used to 'confit' Woodpigeon in butter, sealed into a pot with dough paste. Once cooked slowly this way, they would have a flavour similar to a beef brisket. It is a dark meat but wouldn't say its anything like duck - wild or domestic.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes