A Porkinson clone

Recipes for all sausages

A Porkinson clone

Postby sevorg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:03 am

Following on from my recent post Not a BLT - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13197 here is the recipe for what I think is a reasonable approximation to the good old Porkinson sausage that ceased to be made a few years back and was my all time favourite commercial sausage. Ingredients all as a % of the meat weight.

Please note, as this is a combination of three recipes, some of the ingredients are in a very small proportion if they only appear in one of the three recipes as there will only be a third of the original quantity in here. For my next batch I will drop the last four ingredients as I doubt it they can be detected in these quantities.

Pork 80% lean 20% fat

Iced water 15%
Rusk 11.5%
seasoning 2.45%

Seasoning
Salt 1.44%
Black pepper 0.16%
White pepper 0.20%
Sage 0.24%
Nutmeg 0.13%
Mace 0.06%
Thyme 0.02%
Ground coriander 0.06%
Ginger 0.06%
Parsley 0.03%
Cayenne 0.01%
Dextrose 0.06%
Allspice 0.01%

For anyone who gives these a try, and can remember the Porkinson, I'd be interested in your feedback and any suggestions to make them more like the originals.
sevorg
Registered Member

Re: A Porkinson clone

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm trying to remember whether the original ones were better. The ones made by Kerry foods that were basically a Richmond sausage but with more meat weren't to my liking.

However, I think they were claimed to be 80% pork.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: A Porkinson clone

Postby yotmon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:09 pm

I must admit, i did enjoy the odd Porkinson sausage from Morrisons, who used to stock them. The spice/seasonings were just right for a 'breakfast' type sausage. There was a fashion programme on TV this week that featured Norman Parkinson - the creator of this sausage, which led me back here to look for a recipe.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes