Pepperoni recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Pepperoni recipe

Postby gorillamotors » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:03 pm

I am looking for a good pepperoni recipe.

Jim
gorillamotors
Newly Registered

Re: Pepperoni recipe

Postby NCPaul » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:31 am

Here is mine:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12786

Welcome to the forum. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby harleykids » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:54 pm

Paul,

How did you keep the mold off your pepperoni?
I dry a lot of salumi, and most folks spray them with M-600 at beginning of drying cycle.
I prefer no mold on my salumi, as it is not to my taste. I must have very sensitive taste buds as I can taste even the slightest mold, even on a salumi that has been stripped of its casing/mold!

I get pure white mold all the time, never an off color mold, even without spraying M-600, so many of my charcuterie buddies get jealous of my perfect mold growth! But I am looking for a way to keep the mold off, so wondering if you had any ideas besides normal ways like potassium sorbate, etc.

Or are your photos just after stripping the casing off, which had white mold?

Just curious!
thanks!
harleykids
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:14 am

I also don't like mold so I wipe any trace away with vinegar when I weigh once a week. I also tend towards the cooler end of drying temperatures which I believe helps as well. After the salami have lost about 20 % weight, there shouldn't be much mold growth (I am dropping the humidity at this point).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby harleykids » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:32 pm

I also dry in my chamber at the cool end of the spectrum, around 50 deg F instead of 52 deg F.
But I run a higher end humidity around 75% so as not to get any rim hardening.

But I think I will try lowering my humidity to around 70% and dropping my temp to 48 deg F and see if that slows down the mold growth. Wiping with vinegar definitely helps inhibit mold growth, as does soaking casings in potassium sorbate solution instead of plain water.

Thx!
harleykids
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon May 14, 2018 10:04 am

harleykids wrote:I also dry in my chamber at the cool end of the spectrum, around 50 deg F instead of 52 deg F.
But I run a higher end humidity around 75% so as not to get any rim hardening.

But I think I will try lowering my humidity to around 70% and dropping my temp to 48 deg F and see if that slows down the mold growth. Wiping with vinegar definitely helps inhibit mold growth, as does soaking casings in potassium sorbate solution instead of plain water.

Thx!

My chamber is a walk-in-cooler (my work) and so my temperatures are down at 30 degrees F ( -1 degree C) with humidity at 75%

Mould is not controlled by temperature (yes I have mould on my salame's and such from white, green, yellow, red and black .. all fine) but by humidity ... mould will let you know where your humidity is and in all honesty there is nothing wrong with mould on your product that are drying it is part of the flavour profile ... do not go below 70% humidity or you will get casehardening
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Whilst I agree with everything you've said, and have seen pictures of your products covered in mould, the amount of water suspended in the air for any given RH is less at a lower temperatures. 70%RH at (say) 5°C has far less water suspended in the air than 70%RH at 10°C.

I assume that this will have some affect on mould formation.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Recipes