Boerewors & Rusk

Recipes for all sausages

Boerewors & Rusk

Postby DPG » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi All,

Soon to try my first batch of Boerewors (Weschenfelder mix & recipe) but have a question about rusk, or specifically the lack of it in this recipe.

Reading around Boerewors on the net, it appears that traditionally, they either don't contain any rusk or binders at all, and/or by law, must be 90% meat.

The Weschenfelder recipe adds up in its current form to 92.5% meat (and fat) and 7.5% water/vinegar/seasoning.

Almost all my sausage making thus far as been pork sausages with rusk, but I have tried some beef ones and some lamb ones which didn't contain any, and which, despite upped quantities of far, turned out very dry when cooked, and which I didn't enjoy.

I'm worried about making a batch of Boerewors and them suffering similarly.

I've never actually eaten a sausage of this type, so it might be they are supposed to be drier (or meatier) than a standard banger, but wondering if anyone has experimented with rusk in them to some level vs without, and has any advice?

Many thanks!
DPG
Registered Member

Re: Boerewors & Rusk

Postby SimonSez » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Having lived in Southern Africa for 20+ years and now married to a South African, I can quite safely say that I have never eaten Boerie that has had a filler in it(just isn't boerewors if it has rusk in it).
Sorry it doesn't answer your question, but if you put rusk in it isn't Boerewors.

Boerewors(that I have had) also does not have the 'sausage' texture that is developed in normal sausages.
SimonSez
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:31 pm

The recipes I've seen also call for vinegar which will produce a loose texture.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby badjak » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:12 am

I agree with the rusk.
There is no rusk in boerewors.
It's quite a loose sausage in texture, strongly flavoured.
Don't expect something like a chipolata or breakfast sausage as you might get disappointed.
Mostly they are cooked on the grill, but slow. Don't overcook them (to the horror of all South Africans, I like them cooked hard).
If cooking them in a frying pan, most people here will start them of in some form of fat, then add some water to actually cook the sausage and let the water evaporate. Then brown a bit more and eat.
One other think: it's a coil sausage. I have never seen them linked
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Postby DPG » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:16 am

Many thanks for the replies, everyone!

The recipe I have does indeed use vinegar too, and reading what you all write above, this does sound like something different to anything I've made (or eaten) before, and I'm quite looking forward to doing this.

Will try a small batch and see how they come out. I've got a South African mate on standby to give them a qualified taste test, too.

Thanks again!
DPG
Registered Member

Postby DPG » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 am

badjak wrote:most people here will start them of in some form of fat, then add some water to actually cook the sausage and let the water evaporate. Then brown a bit more

I intend to cook most on a BBQ, but reading the above, wondering at home whether initially poaching them (maybe in a bag) would be an idea, before frying/browning over a higher heat?
DPG
Registered Member

Postby badjak » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:11 am

You could....
I see a couple of things:
Some put the word on a pan on top of the braai, others go straight to the braai and just let it cook slowly.
The latter are actually in the majority
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes