Hotdogs!!

Recipes for all sausages

Hotdogs!!

Postby DanMcG » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:38 pm

So I found myself with 3.5 lbs of leftover pork butt from a run of brats and a new hank of 22-24 sheep casings. Sounds like hot dog time to me!

I went with a Marianski recipe that you can find here.
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/hotdog

It's a beef and pork recipe but I did straight pork, cause that's what I had. I think it would be better with the added beef, but this is real good with just the pork.

Did a triple grind through a small plate (4.5mm) then stuffed and linked about 7” long. I did have one small blowout while linking but I left it.

Got a little carried away with the smoke, they went 3 hours at around 130° then finished in a 170° water bath.

Pan fried some along with some brats for dinner,

and just cause I liked the pic.

Thanks for looking, I haven't been post much mainly cause I haven't made anything different in a long time. Ill try to improve on that in the future.

Re: Hotdogs!!

Postby NCPaul » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:52 pm

They look larger than 22-24 casings. What did you think of the spicing? I'm surprised you didn't pull out your chopper. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:42 am

It must be the pic's because when I started stuffing I actually thought they were smaller than 22-24. I even got out a vernier and measured in a couple places and they were 23mm+/-.
The spicing was nice and simple, Nothing overpowering, Reminds me of something you'd get from the local butcher, if we still had one. :( But like I mentioned I over smoked them and that didn't do anything to help the spices shine . It would have been better with an hour or hour and a half of smoke.. More is not always better.
I will try these again but next time with the beef and added fat and I think it will be a keeper for me.
As far as the chopper goes, It takes to long to clean that monster for 3.5 lbs, but If I get this recipe right I might run a 10 lb batch thru in the future.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am

Too late to edit my post above, but I should add that there is definitely a good amount of garlic in it, although I don't find it overpowering some people might.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes