Minted lamb

Recipes for all sausages

Minted lamb

Postby aris » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:06 pm

I'm thinking of doing a lamb sausage with just salt, and mint sauce (stuff you get in jars at the supermarket). Sounds simple, and I see now reason why it would not work - but comments welcome. Anyone else tried this or other lamb sausages?

Lamb/mutton has a fair bit of fat in it so i'm thinking I won't need to add any.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:24 pm

I found that I get a better texture with lamb by using a leaner cut such as leg and adding minced pork backfat (25%). If you just use lamb you get a lot of shrinkage as more of the fat is rendered off during cooking leaving a dryer texture.
All this is assuming that you don't use rusk (as I never do).
I think the mint sauce idea should work (indian restaurants use it all the time in kebabs and relishes)
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:45 pm

ARIS
I HAVE USED JUST MINCED LAMB FROM TESCOS GARDEN MINT SAUCE FROM TESCOS AND SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE. STUFFED IN SHEEP CASINGS ROLLED IN A COIL AS LINKING JUST SPLIT. SERVED WITH A GARLIC MASHED POTATOE AND GREEN BEANS AND A GOOD GRAVY SAUCE. GORDAN RAMSEY EAT YOUR HEART OUT :)
Shaun
Registered Member

lamb sausage

Postby Franco » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:14 pm

If I am making lamb sausages I always buy minced lamb from my local Halal butcher, because they mince the off cuts of lamb(neck,belly etc.) it is tastier thjan supermarket lamb and costs around �1 per pound.

One of the only herbs that grows in my gaden at this time of your is rosemary which I have tons of, I make a very simple sausage of fresh rosemary, garlic, black pepper,salt and minced lamb,, very simple but always delicous

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:25 pm

I would use halal meat as there are a few of them round me. But I saw on a television program about them being supplied especially in London with meat that was unfit for human consumption.

In my opinion unfit for a dog. So good luck with that i'll buy from Tesco or an English butcher. Just a thought why do you think it is so cheap.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:33 pm

I forgot to add also rusk. I dont know why but it does it for me, it just changes the whole makeup of a sausage for the better.
Franco
Rosemary aint that just the best herb ever.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:40 pm

Oddley
Theres good and bad in all Butchers, the rule of thumb is that if the flies are still alive the meat is edable :)
Shaun
Registered Member

Halal

Postby Franco » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:47 pm

Oddley,
Although I don't particularly agree with the way Halal meat is slaughtered I would recommend the Halal butcher I use, his shop is large and clean and all cutting of carcasses is done in full view something that is unheard of in a supermarket and very rarely in an English butchers.
I also buy mutton from them which is a very underated meat

just because it's Halal doesn't mean it's any better or worse than an English butchers.

Franco
PS
they also sell lamb's feet, which if you can be bothered simmering them for 4 hours and changing the water frequently are well worth the effort,
I first came across them in Italy where ther are served cold with garlic, vinegar and oil.
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:58 pm

Shaun lol.

Franco i have absolutley nothing against Halal meat or butchers in the respect of slaughter. As i have seen slaughter houses that are extreamly cruel.

All I can say is what i saw on watchdog put me off buying their meat.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:10 am

I like Franco's idea of Rosemary, salt, and pepper. Simple - but nice.

I'll also try the tesco's garden mint route.

Can anyone give me ideas of quantities of spices to use? How much rosemary, or mint sauce does one use per kilo of meat?

I've also got a fair bit of sage and tyme in my garden (grows quite easily actually). Does anyone have a recipe using those spices? I assume it would be a traditional cumberland sausage or similar UK sasuage - but what are the quantities of herb to use when using fresh as opposed to dried herbs?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Twoscoops » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:25 am

Franco - does the fresh rosemary soften in the mix? If not do you have a special method of softening, as I often find it too chewy.

Good tip about the mint sauce in Indian chutneys. will have to try that one.
Twoscoops
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:54 am

Hi aris I think if you want to produce a UK type of sausage the amount of herbs you use is important.

In my opinion british sausages should not pick you up, shake you and slap you round the head. But be delicately spiced to bring out the flavour of the meat.

The balance of spices and herbs is the differance between a disaster and a quality product, In any sausage.

If I were going to experiment with rosemary, as it is a stong tasteing herb I would start with a relatively small amount. possibly 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh rosemary, then fry a small amount of sausage meat if not correct increase the amount then repeat the procedure.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes