Grandpa Jumbos Polish Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:18 pm

Wow those Youtube videos of Wittdog's are well worth a look.

You need to search for wittdogd on Youtube - note the d on the end of his name.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wittdog » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 pm

Glad you guys are enjoying them...I'm getting ready to do my Xmass ham..I think we will do a video of that. Here is a link to the first sausage making video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHap3lpTzkU
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:02 pm

There's also an excellent one on hot smoking sausages http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPVrvt9hiJg&feature=related
Wittdog what make of smoke house have you got?
I'm doing a Xmas ham as well, are you going to smoke it?

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:18 pm

I've got the insulated 20lb smokehouse from the Sausagemaker...the capacity is more like 15lbs comfortably...but I've been very happy with it.
Yes I'm going to smoke my xmass ham..I figure it should take about 36hrs...a 12hr drying cycle...8 hrs of smoke....and about 16 to get it "fully cooked"....
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:28 pm

wittdog wrote:Yes I'm going to smoke my xmass ham..I figure it should take about 36hrs...a 12hr drying cycle...8 hrs of smoke....and about 16 to get it "fully cooked"....

What weight is the ham?
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:01 pm

lemonD wrote:
wittdog wrote:Yes I'm going to smoke my xmass ham..I figure it should take about 36hrs...a 12hr drying cycle...8 hrs of smoke....and about 16 to get it "fully cooked"....

What weight is the ham?

Almost 18lbs...
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:00 pm

Thanks for this recipe and videos on youtube Wittdog, I did these the weekend and they turned out spot on.
I followed your video and the only change I made to your recipe was to subsitute dried skimmed milk for the soy protein at a ratio of 1:1 with water.

Heres what they looked like after hot smoking for 3 hours.

Finished after 4 hours.

The setup for hot smoking

Great sausages Witt and yes they do taste as good as they look :wink:

LD.
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm

Man those look fantastic...Great Job...Can you tell me a little more about your smokehouse?
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi wittdog,
Watched some of your videos on youtube. Nice one!

I have exactly the same stuffer as you, but mine is a little stiff when winding up or down, even with no meat in it. Is that the case with yours? I have a slightly raised seam in the barrel from the weld, is yours flat.

If yours is easy to turn, I'm going to have to grind the weld down. The sausagemaker stuffer is a really well made stuffer, with high quality components, Much higher quality than the hobby stuffer. The old adage, of you only get what you pay, for being correct.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:02 pm

Oddley mine is easy to turn down...if it starts to bind up I grease the gears...I use crisco with is cooking fat...
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:43 pm

Wittdog,
The smokehouse is one I built primary for cold smoking posted here http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3353

For the heat I'm using a 1600w cooker hob element, temparture control is by an electric storage heater thermostat rate at 107C/224f.
The steel tray holding the hob element is the bottom of the old electric cooker I salvaged from freecycle.org.

Insulation is provided by an old sleeping bag and eiderdown.

I need to do a few more mods, make a chimney/ flue and even out the smoke/heat distribution plus the novelty of wrapping it up in sleeping bags is wearing off. :(

The max temp I get is 83c/181f, I wanted to see if it was possible to use a wooden cabinet for low temparture hot smoking.

I have a WSM for hotter smokes, which I converted to electric heating using the same method.

At the moment it's cold smoking a Xmas ham.

LD.
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:54 pm

can we get a few links that you have on You TYube, Would be great to watch.

I was looking for a smoked sausage to make on the weekend, will run with this one and we will take some clips of the process....

Cheers
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:25 pm

wittdog
Registered Member

Postby DarrinG » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:38 am

Hey Wittdog,

I just finished watching your marshmallow video (noticed it because I just finished watching the same GE episode). I can't wait to cook with my son. When ever I'm home I do a bit of cooking with my neice (she's 4) but it will be better with my own kid.

Thanks for an awesome look into my future. I can't wait.

Darrin

*edit* I just finished the xmas ham. I laughed so hard with the boys dressed up as JB. "Pay attention boy!" that was great!
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:50 am

Darrin the marshmallows are well worth the effort and the clean up isn't bad...just soak everything..the mrs said clean up was pretty easy. Make sure you spray the spatula and dust it with the cornstarch/powdersugar mix...
The marshmallows are much superior than the store-bought stuff.
JB is a good guy and the boys love his videos he wanted a few clips of the boys so he could include them in his videos.
Good Luck with the marshmallows the sugar temp is the key to getting them right..and a heavy mixer.
wittdog
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes