Parson's Old English sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Postby sausagemaker » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:12 pm

Hi Bob

No you cannot use burghul instead of rusk but you can use breadcrumb as Parson suggested
He has also kindly posted a rusk recipe if you would rather use that, then the link to his recipe is below

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=339

regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Re: Garlic Sausages

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:20 pm

Parson Snows wrote:Bob
I'm glad that you like the Garlic and Pork Sausages, it's one of my favourites also. I'll pass on your comments to their creator UK butcher Charles Harris of Cornwall.

The oregano and rosemary add a nice flavor. The next time I make it I will increase the spices about 10-20% to bring out the flavors a little more strongly.

Also, Texans really like garlic because it is the staple of chili, as well as BBQ sauce and dry rub for BBQ - to name just a few uses. We buy it by the 5 lb. sack already cleaned and ready to use. It is sold that way at Korean markets in Houston.
Bob
Registered Member

Increase in Spices

Postby Parson Snows » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Bob
You wrote
The oregano and rosemary add a nice flavor. The next time I make it I will increase the spices about 10-20% to bring out the flavors a little more strongly.

By all means increase the spices to what you like. That's one of the benefits of making your own sausage. However, I would recommend doing it gradually (1/2 % a time) as a jump to 10 % is a lot never mind 20 %. Keep a note book of every sausage type that you have made along with what revisions/spice mixes that you used PLUS the overall outcome (taste/texture etc). If you don't you'll eventually try the same combinations that you tried before but didn't like.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Re: Increase in Spices

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Parson Snows wrote:Bob
You wrote

By all means increase the spices to what you like. That's one of the benefits of making your own sausage. However, I would recommend doing it gradually (1/2 % a time) as a jump to 10 % is a lot never mind 20 %.

By 10-20% I meant based on the amount of spice I used previously.

Therefore if I used 10 t., I would now use 11 t.

Keep a note book of every sausage type that you have made along with what revisions/spice mixes that you used PLUS the overall outcome (taste/texture etc). If you don't you'll eventually try the same combinations that you tried before but didn't like.

I print recipes from a text file, one to a sheet of paper. As I amend the recipe I keep notes on that sheet.

If I like the result, I amend the recipe in the text file. I do not like keeping notes about recipes I have replaced, although I do keep a copy of the original recipe to see how far I am deviating from it.

Eventually I have the recipe committed to memory so I don't need to see it any more. For example, I have the Garlic Pork Bangers recipe committed to memory now.
Bob
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes