Just a plain old breakfast pork sausage recipe please?

Recipes for all sausages

Postby johnfb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:59 am

I agree with Lemon D.
Patties are the way forward for testing out new recipes on the kids.
Just tell them it's the new MacDonalds burger.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi Shirl
I see you are local to me. I buy all my meats from the farmers market in Ashby and it is quite expensive...

You don't say where exactly you are but i find that the cost of buying meat drops substantially if I buy 1/4 or 1/2 a pig.
I guess I am lucky in that within 5 miles of where I live (at Thurlaston, near Earl Shilton) I can buy 1/2 a pig from 1 farmer at �1 per pound and 1/4 or 1/2 from another at about �1.25 a pound.
I can let you have the details if you like.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Sorry Phil. I'm sure I responded to your reply. I'm in Ashby so go to the farmers market there. I don't have much freezer space so can only buy small amounts at a time.

Anyway I got the sausages out of the freezer today and success, they liked them!

I made a recipe using bits of each recipe taken from here. I also made them on the coarser cutter but no one commented on that so it seems i'm safe!

Many thanks guys I shall continue making them, happy to finally be appreciated for trying to give them healthier food!
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Shirl
I'm really pleased that your family liked your sausages.
Coarse or fine ground meat is just a matter of personal preference - we like fine for sheeps casings and coarse for hogs as a general rule in our house.
You realise, of course, that when your family and friends find out how good your sausage is, you will have to make an awful lot more. :lol:
Best regards

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Thanks Phil.

I hope you are right as I worry about the food my mother eats! I make my own bread, butter etc etc and find it satisfying to choose this kind of lifestyle.

Other members of my family would be happy with fish and chips everyday... families eh :D
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:00 pm

Shirl
I forgot to ask before but, if you don't mind, will you post your recipe.
I'd love to try it.
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Well I took your recipe as my base. I used homemade breadcrumbs instead of rusk. (it was wholegrain bread so of course wholegrain breadcrumbs)

I took out the black pepper and took out a third of the white pepper. I added a teaspoon of Oddleys brill Lincolnshire recipe as I already had that seasoning made up.

For the meat I used half pork shoulder and half belly. I have sheeps casings but they are quite difficult as they are too small for my tube and I had to cut the other one down and its a bit jagged and catches the casings.

Thats about it really. I noticed that most of the recipes involved the same ingredients so I just mixed them up a bit.

I enjoy Oddleys recipe but I think I will try some pork and apple for myself in the near future. I live near a place that has a couple of wild apple trees that I already have my eye on come the end of the summer. Last year I made them into some delightful blackberry and wild apple jam, this year its going to be sausages too.... :D
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby Shirl » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Anyway I shall show you the sausages I made last month that I put on my blog, please don't laugh at them... well you can if you want, I loved the taste of them! http://shirleyuk.wordpress.com/2008/03/ ... ge-making/ :D
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat May 03, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi all, I've split the butter making posts into a new thread in general cookery. I hope the two threads still make sense :oops:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat May 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Brilliant idea Dave - I guess we got a bit off topic!

I know, from experience, that it's a pain to try and find things hidden in other topics 'cos the title doesn't give any indication that it might be there.
One suggestion though - maybe a link to the new topic from the old one?
Best regards
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun May 04, 2008 8:13 am

It's in the 'Cookery in General' section under 'Butter Making..

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3881

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shirl » Wed May 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Hey Phil you got my jam making juices flowing so I raided my blackberry supply from the freezer. Added it to some wild apple puree and had scones and jam for tea!
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed May 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi Shirl
In view of my experiences with blackberries I don't know whether to :lol: or :cry:

How's the sausage making going? I've adjusted my recipe, reducing the pepper and adding some herbs. I still make both but the revised recipe is more akin to what people think of as a 'plain old breakfast sausage'.
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi Phil.

I've not made too many sausages recently. The farmers market in Ashby didn't have any shoulder this time so we are eating up the ones in the freezer. I'm looking forward to experimenting a bit more but we arent huge meat eaters so my stash doesn't go down very fast.

I wrote a bit about the jam making on my blog.

PS i've found someone to sell me fresh eggs. I'm hoping to pick my first lot up this weekend.. I really miss my chickens :(
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Mon May 26, 2008 7:03 pm

wheels wrote:Hi Shirl

My family, other than me, like a fairly plain sausage with a bit of a peppery bite. Here's what I use for 1kg:

780gm Pork Shoulder (about 75/25 meat to fat)
80gm Rusk
120gm water
20gm seasoning mix

Seasoning mix:

Salt 60gm
Pepper White 10gm
Pepper Black 8gm
Nutmeg 2gm
Mace 1gm
Ginger 2gm

This gives about 1.45% salt.

You can see them here but the picture doesn't really do them justice.

I mince these fairly finely and use sheep's casings - 'cos that's the way they like 'em!

Your ingredients - using rusk but no liquid seems odd to me.

Hope this helps

Phil

Hey Wheels

I made up your spice blend a couple of minutes ago. I dropped the peppers to 5gr each and added 5 grams of icing sugar, for colour and a half tea spoon of the dreaded MSG.
Mixed it all up and asked my wife to dip a fingertip in the bowl.
I tried it too. Damn good that blend. My wife thought it tasted great too. She reckons it would be lovely in a burger mix also. I will give that a go as well soon.

I am getting a kilo of minced pork in the local supermarket as I have none of my pork shoulder left since I did a marathon 10lbs of cumberland sausages this weekend and have every intention of making a kilo batch of your blend this week.
A lovely mix wheels, really, can't wait to try the sausages.

john
johnfb
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes