Just a plain old breakfast pork sausage recipe please?

Recipes for all sausages

Postby porker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:12 am

:oops: I'm so disappointed, I'm a complete failure when it comes to making bread :oops:

For 20+ years I've been trying, and have never made a loaf that I'd say was good enough to make again.

I even tried this one :x :x It never even made it to the oven, it rose about 1/4 inch after two hours....

I so want to be able to bake an every day loaf :?

Cheers

:)
porker
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 am

porker wrote::oops: I'm so disappointed, I'm a complete failure when it comes to making bread :oops:

For 20+ years I've been trying, and have never made a loaf that I'd say was good enough to make again.

I even tried this one :x :x It never even made it to the oven, it rose about 1/4 inch after two hours....

I so want to be able to bake an every day loaf :?

Cheers

Hey Porker
here is the link to Wheels' site.
http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/weblog ... =my_weblog

Follow it EXACTLY...really you cannot go wrong with this . However, for my preferance, I added 2 sachets of dried yeast to this recipe and always do, so perhaps you could try this.
Keep trying it is the perfect bread roll recipe.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby porker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:00 am

Thanks, my ego is hurting just now ... this last attempt was the worst ever ... I'll get all new ingredients and try again.

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Postby Shirl » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:06 am

What flour are you using? I love the Lidl stuff at just 48p a bag! I have heard that the quality of some bread flour isnt great right now due to the poor weather we have been having.... just something to think about?
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby wallie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:43 am

I agree with you Shirl regarding the Lidl bread flour, I think its great I use it all the time for my bread.
Also its half the cost of Strong bread flour.

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:58 pm

porker wrote:Thanks, my ego is hurting just now ... this last attempt was the worst ever ... I'll get all new ingredients and try again.

Cheers

A very important tip
When proving for both times, I ALWAYS put the bread ball and then the individual rolls (on a baking sheet)into a plastic bag, like a bin liner, to rise. This will ensure a perfect rise as it creates a nice warm area in the bag for the fermenting to take place.
Try this and it will work for you. I NEVER leave my bread out to prove uncovered.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby porker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:33 pm

Shirl wrote:What flour are you using? I love the Lidl stuff at just 48p a bag! I have heard that the quality of some bread flour isnt great right now due to the poor weather we have been having.... just something to think about?

Thanks for the support :)

The flour wouldn't have been fresh thats for sure ... you're too kind blaming the weather for me ...

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Postby porker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:37 pm

johnfb wrote:
porker wrote:Thanks, my ego is hurting just now ... this last attempt was the worst ever ... I'll get all new ingredients and try again.

Cheers

A very important tip
When proving for both times, I ALWAYS put the bread ball and then the individual rolls (on a baking sheet)into a plastic bag, like a bin liner, to rise. This will ensure a perfect rise as it creates a nice warm area in the bag for the fermenting to take place.
Try this and it will work for you. I NEVER leave my bread out to prove uncovered.

I set mine in the baking bowl and it goes on top of the Aga or in the hotpress if I feel its too cold in the kitchen.

I will put it in a bag next time :)

wallie ... I have a look at that flour for my next baking session

Cheers

:) [/b]
porker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:38 pm

I don't know if you've noticed but we have a dedicated bread making section now. Apart from people enthusing about Phil's recipe :lol: you will also see recommendations to use flour improvers, which I can also highly recommend as well.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby porker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:43 pm

Sorry Dave, I was so annoyed I just posted where I happened to be ...

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:16 am

Porker,

I use wheels recipe too, it really is the best I have come across. I put my loaf in a large bowl covered with a tea towel and it goes in the bottom oven (cool) on the Rayburn with the door slightly ajar and always rises nicely! I use the bread improver from Kitchen Foods too.

It is really easy to do & I never buy supermarket bread now - even made bagels on saturday and covered them, with poppy seeds!! (they were to go with the smoked salmon from earlier in the week)
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes