AngloTex Bangers

Recipes for all sausages

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:21 am

Oddley wrote:[color=indigo]Bob the difference between rusk and breadcrumbs is rusk is made with baking powder and bread with yeast.

I did not mean to imply that bread stuffing was identically the same as rusk, only that they possessed similar characteristics. I am wondering if it is a better substitute than bread crumbs. The thing about breadcrumbs is they are very finely granulated making them behave like meal when wet. I am thinking about something coarser like crumbled stuffing.

Parson Snows posted this recipe for rusk.

Yes, I saw it and I believe I commented that I want to avoid anything that requires a lot of work.

The reason is that if there is too much work involved, I eventually get lazy and not do anything.

In this case I would eventually stop making bangers if I had to go to the trouble of making my own rusk.

Apparently no one has tried crumbled stuffing as a rusk substitute.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:09 pm

I think Parson once mentioned that the reason why rusk is used instead of breadcrumbs is that the yeast may give the sausage a sour taste. Rusk is apparently made with no yeast.

I know in the UK you get several different sizes of rusk for sausage making.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:26 pm

aris wrote:I think Parson once mentioned that the reason why rusk is used instead of breadcrumbs is that the yeast may give the sausage a sour taste. Rusk is apparently made with no yeast.

I wonder if crumbled soda crackers would work as a substitute for rusk?
Bob
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:52 pm

The soda might give yet another strange taste. I do recall that a recipe for Rusk was posted here. You could try making your own. Or use ground oatmeal for a different texture, or perhaps Matzos which are technically unlevend bread (no yeast).
aris
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:07 pm

aris wrote:The soda might give yet another strange taste. I do recall that a recipe for Rusk was posted here. You could try making your own. Or use ground oatmeal for a different texture, or perhaps Matzos which are technically unlevend bread (no yeast).

Unless someone comments otherwise, I think I will try crumbled bread stuffing, assuming I can find some that is unseasoned.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:03 pm

stuffing is made with breadcrumbs so rather than wasting your money why not just use stale breadcrumbs?
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:21 pm

TobyB wrote:stuffing is made with breadcrumbs so rather than wasting your money why not just use stale breadcrumbs?

As mentioned earlier I am hoping to achieve a coarser product.

Breadcrumbs end up like meal when wetted, so I am hoping that by controlling the size of granules of stuffing when I crumble it, I can get a coarser result.

Not that a coarser result is any better. I am throwing this out for comment.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:05 pm

I pan fried the remaining bangers that had aged in the refrigerator another 24 hours. I twisted the coiled length into 4" links and fried it covered for about a half hour at just above steam temperature in vegetable oil and a little water. I turned them every 5 minutes to make sure they did not burst. None did. After the first turn the meat was set, so I cut the links free at the twists.

OK, here's the latest taste test: VERY DELICIOUS!

And very moist. The overnight aging process must have blended the spices because the taste is much more "developed" today than yesterday. If you like highly-spiced bangers, this is the recipe. The spices are not overwhelming, so it is not necessary to cut back, and that includes the pepper.

If anyone tries this sausage, I would ask you to stick closely to the recipe the first time, and of course let us know your comments. Let the sausage age several days to bring out the spices.

Thanks again to everyone who collaborated on this recipe. I believe it can truly be called AngloTex Bangers.
Bob
Registered Member

Breadcrumbs

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:14 pm

Bob
you wrote
As mentioned earlier I am hoping to achieve a coarser product.
Breadcrumbs end up like meal when wetted, so I am hoping that by controlling the size of granules of stuffing when I crumble it, I can get a coarser result.

That's why in the first place I suggested to just take a loaf of baked bread (supermarket aerated fluff as a last resort) break it into small pieces and place in a food processor until broken down through not obilterated into dust (30 seconds on medium speed should do it). Leave it in the fridge (uncovered) until the next day then use. It'll take 2 to 3 minutes to break up the bread and reduce it in size. A lot less time (and money) than you have spent up till now, and a coarser texture. I will answer your other questions etc. in a day or so, sorry.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:34 pm

It's been a while since I first tried this sausage so I am now following up.

I may have mentioned that I was going to increase the proportion of spices. Now it's seasoned just right for my tastes, both for pan fying patties and for stuffing in either hog casings or sheep casings.

Here's the adjusted recipe:

1 lb pork (~ 1/3 fat)
2 T. breadcrumbs
4 T. water
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. sage
1 1/2 t. garlic powder
3/4 t. coarse ground black pepper
3/4 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. marjoram
1/2 t. savory
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 t. rosemary

Notice that I cut back on the breadcrumbs and water. The sausage is not dry, so I do not need a lot of adjuncts.

I may try 1/4-1/2 t. dextrose to sweeten it up a bit - just a hint of sweetness to take the rough edge off the sage.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Parson Snows » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:06 pm

Bob wrote
I may try 1/4-1/2 t. dextrose to sweeten it up a bit - just a hint of sweetness to take the rough edge off the sage

You will also find that another property that the dextrose has is that when used with fresh casings it will help the sausages to take on a nice brown colour when they are fried/cooked.

kind regards

Parson Snows

PS thanks for the updated recipe
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:28 pm

Parson Snows wrote:Bob wrote
I may try 1/4-1/2 t. dextrose to sweeten it up a bit - just a hint of sweetness to take the rough edge off the sage

You will also find that another property that the dextrose has is that when used with fresh casings it will help the sausages to take on a nice brown colour when they are fried/cooked.

So you don't have a problem with a slight amount of dextrose in Oxford sausage. That's good to know. Americans like a bit of sweetness in meat products like hamburgers and frankfurters. So why not pork sausage.

PS thanks for the updated recipe

It's a bit on the strong side compared with most pork sausage recipes you read in books. In fact, someone was complaining on the reader's review section about a book where the recipes were uniformly not strong enough to taste the spices. I especially like the 5 spices at the end of the recipe as well as sage and garlic. Therefore I want a clear taste of all of them when I eat the sausage.

I was concerned that this large an increase (~ 50%) over the original recipe would be way too strong for stuffed sausage, where the flavors tend to become more intense with a few day's aging in the refrigerator. But that has not been the case - the tastes are more pronounced but not overwhelmingly so.

This has now become my "house brand" sausage. I will likely make it most of the time with a few variations in between, like Italian sausage for pasta recipes.

Now all I have to find is a really great beef frankfurter (hot dog) recipe and I will eat like a king for the rest of my life.
Bob
Registered Member

Definative recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:49 pm

Bob asked
So you don't have a problem with a slight amount of dextrose in Oxford sausage. That's good to know

I was commenting on you adding sugar/dextrose to your "Anglo-Tex" bangers. Personally I have no problem with adding a small percentage/portion of sugar/dextrose to my sausages, though as to an "OXFORD" sausage recipe, we've been down this road before there aren't; at least at present; any "definitive regional recipes" for any sausages. Though they are trying to achieve this with several varieties such as Lincolnshire (article previously posted) and Cumberland. Every butcher makes them slightly different, all believing, rightly or wrongly so, that their recipe is the best/correct one.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Last edited by Parson Snows on Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Re: Definative recipes

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Parson Snows wrote:Bob asked
So you don't have a problem with a slight amount of dextrose in Oxford sausage. That's good to know

I was commented on you adding sugar/dextrose to your "Anglo-Tex" bangers. Personally I have no problem with adding a small percentage/portion of sugar/dextrose to my sausages

I want to see for myself, but if it works out to my tastes, I am going to include a small amount of dextrose in my "standard ingredients" list that we discussed a while back.

though as to an "OXFORD" sausage recipe, we've been down this road before there aren't; at least at present; any "definative regional recipes" for any sausages. Every butcher makes them slightly different, all believing, rightly or wrongly so, that there recipe is the best.

I adapted my recipe from the Oxford sausage recipe you posted, in particular the use of the 5 spices at the end of the recipe. I have never seen that particular combination of spices in any recipe before. In fact, as I mentioned, I have never even owned Savory in my life - but now I do. Since I have increased the measure of the spices significantly, I can definitely taste them.

I just finished off lunch which you might find somewhat unconventional. I stuffed some of the latest extra-spiced mix into sheep casing to get smaller sized links. I pan fried a couple of 6" links and put them each on standard hot dog buns. I added prepared mustard and sweet pickle relish, just like a conventional hot dog sandwich. It's not bangers and mash, but it is very tasty.

My next experiment is going to be "Bangers Quesadilla". It's made with flavored tortillas, shredded Mexican cheese and crumpled, pre-cooked sausage. Pan fry both sides until the cheese is melted.

I also made an Anglo-Tex Banger omellete, which was delicious. I am going to be smoking some spareribs this afternoon so I am going to use the residual smoke on some fresh links: Smoked Anglo-Tex Bangers.

The possibilities are endles with this sausage recipe, especially if you make it with extra spices like the latest version.
Bob
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes