pork leek apple and stilton

Recipes for all sausages

pork leek apple and stilton

Postby captain wassname » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:01 pm

hello I havemade a couple of batches of sausages and was reasonably pleased with the outcomebut since I have browsed this forum (deep into the night for a week or so) I feel ready for something a little mote complicated but need some expert advice. I intend to make a pork,leek,apple and stilton sausage. I am intending to make a batch of pork and leek using a prebought mix 80% pork 7% rusk 11-1/2% liquid and 2-1/2% mix

This is where i need help. My intentiom is to take a small patty of the mix (20gms) add 2gms each cheese and apple and work from there.

If I add cheese and apple in these proportions will I need to add more liquid rusk and particularly seasoning

I seem to rember somebody using reduced cider for the liquid in something simlar would this be deireable

Thanks Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Does this help....from the recipe section...

Pork and Apple from Welsh Wizard

Thread
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3213.

Hi Oddley

I totally agree. If you cant taste the apple, they are not pork and apple.

I make quite a lot of these little beauties and use the following:

1kg Pork
c40g dried apple
10g salt
2g pepper
7% rusk
7% apple juice simmered down to concentrate the flavour and cooled
Herbs from the garden (depending on whats about)

I reduce the apple juice by c50% and then soak the dried apple in the juice for an hour or so to allow the dried apple to reconstitute

Mix with the pork, herbs, seasoning and rusk.

Depending on the wetness of the pork you may need to put some more juice into the mix to get the right consistency.

Works for me................

I have used fresh chopped apple in the past but it turned to mush whilst coooking, not so the dried apple...........

Cheers WW
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:10 pm

johnfb sorry I should have explained I have searched the site and in particular a link to-reciepes>seasonings feedback. where jonty says he useed a cider reduction in what seems to be a pork and leek reciepe

another link to>chatter>pork and stilton sausages . where ando said he used 10% cheese. and port as well as WW suggesting shropshire blue.
I really need to know if i am on the right track and if as ando said should i reduce the mix because of the salt content.Im sorry but i dont have the technical know how to create links
captain wassname
Registered Member

pork beef apple and stilton

Postby captain wassname » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:27 pm

made 2 batches of sausages lasst night using a cider reduction.one is pork,leek,apple and shropshire blue (thanks to WW) and the other is just PLA. the test patties tasted good and they lookfine stuffed(my first time with hog casings.My stuffing technique definitley needs working on.

We are going to cook some tomorrow and if they are any good I will post the reciepe? here or in Reciepes

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:20 pm

Either place will be fine Jim, thanks,

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:16 pm

sorry for the delay,we got waylayed making pork pies and trying to upload pictures Now for a full report: the sausages cooked realy well and we were more than pleased with the results.

The sausages were both intended. to be the same,but we ran out of cheese due to needing a larger percentage than enviseged. The mix refered to did not come from this site but I dont think this will make a lot of difference the liquid was a 50% rduction of thatchers single varirty Cox

Pork leek apple

68.57% pork
6.03% rusk
10.41% liquid
2.14% herb mix
12.85% apple

Pork L Apple and cheese.

60.88 % pork
5.34% rusk
9.18% liquid
1.92% herb mix
11.34%apple
11.34% cheese

The cheese was blue shropshire (thanks to WW)
Apple was granny smith (Ive used theese in a baked apple reciepe and they didnt mush. These were very nice but for personal taste I would increase the cheese-apple ratio.Maybe by reducing apple or increasing cheese. The Apple sausages were about right in my opinion. Apple was cubes at about 3/16 in. but could be reduced as thy remained firm when cooked. I was happy that the cider reduction worked well

Any thoughts about loosing the mix (or some of it) and using cinnamom in either mix
captain wassname
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes