wild boar

Recipes for all sausages

wild boar

Postby kjohn » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi all
new to all of this, just got a sausage machine ...well mincer with tube realy. anybody know a wild boar recipy as we have plenty here in Turkey.
Pork not avalable :cry: as muslim country
thanks in advance
K John
kjohn
Newly Registered

Postby aris » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 pm

I suspect you can use any recipe which calls for pork.

Isn't a wild boar a wild pig - IMHO the same.
aris
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:25 pm

I didn't realise that Muslims could eat wild boar - you see, you learn something new every day.

I was thinking along the same lines as Aris, some game recipes may also be worth a try.

Herbs? - thyme, rosemary, sage, maybe? Juniper?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:04 pm

I came across a generic game sausage recipe the other day, I'll see if I can find it :)

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby vinner » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:08 pm

If your wild boar is anything like ours, you will have to add some fat. They are extremely lean, and the fat that is there is sometimes the gamiest part of the boar. We use pork back fat over here, but that does not sound like an option for you. anyone have ideas what fat kjohn can add in?
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:49 pm

My guess on the fat would to use beef fat, since pork is out for religious reasons, chicken fat would be hard to find, and I think that lamb / sheep fat has a fairly strong taste to it. As for a sausage recipe, here's one from a site on wild boar recipes at
http://nafood.com/blog/win-500-in-the-n ... omment-178

Wild boar Sausage w/ Sundried Tomato & Basil

Equipment needed : Sausage Stuffer ( manual or electric) , with small funnel , Grinder or chopper , Plastic Scraper , Mixer w/ paddle

Ingredients

6 � # Lean Boar , Picnic Shoulder � trimmed of any nerve or tendon, Cubed
3 � # Firm , Fresh Boar Fat , Cubed ( or pork fat ) chilled
90 G salt ( 3 oz,)
10 g butcher black pepper (1/3 oz.)
1 Cup Sundried Tomatoes , chopped
1 Cup Fresh Basil , chopped
� Cup Chopped Parsley
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Paprika
as needed Medium Sized Natural Casings ( 1 �� inch)
Method

1. Soak the casings in cold water , then run cold water thru them to rinse , and check for holes or weak spots which can burst.
2. If using a meat grinder , grind the fat first using a �� inch disk , then pass the lean thru a 3/8� inch disk. If using a chopper , first chop the chilled

fat until the pieces are about �� , Then add the cubed lean and process until the grain of the lean pork is about 3/8� inch.
3. Transfer the ground mixture to a mixer, or mix by hand if you prefer, and add the salt , pepper & paprika dissolved in a little cold water. Mix on

low speed to incorporate , adding the rest of the ingredients , without mixing too long to avoid the fat from warming & melting. Set aside &

refrigerate.
4. Using a manual or electric sausage stuffer , place the funnel on the stuffer , then slide one end of the casing over the funnel. Pack the meat mixture

into the stuffer so that there are no air pockets.
5. Fill the casings with a slow , steady force to avoid air pockets. Also if the mixture is stuffed in too fast it could be too tightly packed, warming the

mixture and causing the fat to melt.
6. Visible air pockets can be released by pricking with a toothpick.
7. Leave the sausage in a long coil , or twist off into individual links.

Recipe Makes 10# of Sweet Sausage ( for Hot Sausage Add Cayenne/ Chili Powder)
� Note * � Partially freezing the fat before grinding will help prevent it from melting during the process . Whether using a chopper or grinder , The fat

should be ground more finely than the lean to give the sausage a meaty , lean appearance.
� Sausage Rule Of Thumb � 2/3 lean meat to 1/3 fat .
NOTES : wild boar fat is a much softer fat than pork fat and will not hold up as well to processing or heat . Using pork fat in the boar sausage may

be a good idea
September 15th, 2008 at 11:56 am
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Billy Rhomboid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:08 pm

I made a wild boar and elk sausage earlier in the year which turned out well. i will dig out the recipe.
Billy Rhomboid
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes