Saveloys Revisited

Recipes for all sausages

Saveloys Revisited

Postby Oddley » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:35 pm

I have had another bash at saveloys. Even though they did not come out as saveloys they didn't taste half bad.

In fact I might use a similar method to make some fresh sausage. I had to use cure #1 because in tasting there was a distinct taste of reheated fat obviously from the gelatine mix and cure #1 eliminates this. I used MSG because the saveloys needed a little boost and the MSG enhanced the flavour.

The funny thing is that as I used half Beef half Pork the mix would not emulsify properly the texture was ok for saveloys but not say for a frankfurter. This is not the case with just pork which emulsify's fine.

This is the latest extract from my experiment log.

New experiment 07/02/05

Spice mix
135 Grams Salt
8 gm MSG
25 Grams ground white pepper
3 Grams ground ginger
1 Gram ground Mace
1 Gram ground cinnamon
3 gram garlic powder
2 gram smoke

For Gelatine mix

200 gm belly pork bones
!/2 onion
2 cloves garlic ( whole and crushed with knife)
Water
211 gm rind
1 knorr chicken stock cube

Cover bones and other ingredient with water and simmer for 40 minutes and strain. Put rind in a casserole dish and cover with 1 1/2 time its weight in stock. Put in over gas mark 6 200 deg centigrade for four hours. Leave to cool slightly and whiz in magimix until emulsified.

1 lb meat
30 gm knorr chicken stock
30 gm gelatine
11 gm saveloy spice
14 gm breadcrumbs
1 gm Prague powder #1
2 ice cubes

Mix in the magimix 6 mins. After 2 mins add 1 cube ice then leave until 4 mins then add 1 cube ice the stock and breadcrumbs and saveloy spice as well as the gelatine. Then cook in on skewers gas mark 1, till internal temp 170 deg F in oven.

The geletine mix
The meat Mix
The cooked sausage

All in all it wasn't a complete failure this time the sausage did taste distinctly like a saveloy.

I'm still having trouble with the skins though. I got some skins from Devro but they are I believe cellulose so not edible. I used hog skins and as I know they turn to rubber when simmered so I had to use the oven. This turned them from saveloy's into sausages.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:43 pm

They may not look like saveloys but they do look lovely!
TobyB
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes