White Hots (Rochester white hot dogs)

Recipes for all sausages

Postby DanMcG » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 pm

This is odd as I posted earlier today with a picture of a couple local ingredients labels from two local sausage makers. but the post didn't appear.
It couldn't be me, But must be the solar flares..

Anyways For Toms quest for a NYS white hot, these are the two best ever made in Syracuse NY, and Meiers & Ranz is now gone.

DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Cool!

I've had some of Hofmann's other franks, but not the the snappy griller.....I'm sure Wegman's has them here.

I can remember back in the 80's Wegman's carried large packages of whites....not sure who made those...but they were pretty good.
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:25 pm

The ingredients label is interesting because it could possible describe the acids necessary to stabilize the emulsion, like I'd mentioned with mayo.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:42 pm

SausageBoy wrote:Cool!

I can remember back in the 80's Wegman's carried large packages of whites....not sure who made those...but they were pretty good.

I bet it was the "coney" from Meiers and Ranz, they were very popular in the area and people who buy a white Hofmanns dog nowadays almost always refer to it as a coney.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Wegman's carries the Snappy Grillers in several pound bags, down here. I notice that one leads with veal and doesn't mention lemon, and the other leads with pork and does mention lemon, and both are Syracuse versions. While I realize there is no one true white hot, I think I'm approaching a reasonable formula. But I think what I'm running up against with my friends is the rest of the sausage experience, particularly getting the right texture. I think the sheep casing gives me the right snap. Trying to achieve this without being able to taste a real one continues to be a fun challenge, if frustrating.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

white hots

Postby FMC » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Aloha folks,
Western NY native here, but am in the Army and have not lived in NY for many, many years. Some local professional sausage makers in Hawaii advertise that they can do specialty items. I'm thinking of trying to bring a recipe to one and asking them if they can make it. I had no idea it would be so hard to find a recipe! I know I could order online. Anyhow, that's when my Internet search brought me to this forum. It sounds like you know what you are talking about and I wonder if you would be willing to give me your best guesstimate for a recipe! Thanks!
FMC
Newly Registered

Postby DanMcG » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 pm

DanMcG wrote:This is odd as I posted earlier today with a picture of a couple local ingredients labels from two local sausage makers. but the post didn't appear.
It couldn't be me, But must be the solar flares..

Anyways For Toms quest for a NYS white hot, these are the two best ever made in Syracuse NY, and Meiers & Ranz is now gone.

Just a quick update if you're taking notes Tom.
It must be that Meier & Ranz has been out of business long enough for the Hofmanns company to borrow the name "Coney".
Hofmans was always the "snappy griller", but a white dog around Syracuse has always been referred to a coney.

DanMcG
Registered Member

Re: White Hots (Rochester white hot dogs)

Postby Goldenhill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Been following the Rochester white hot story
Has anybody come up with a reciepe that is close
Goldenhill
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:26 pm

welcome to the forums Goldenhill, where abouts are ya located?
Zweigle's in Rochester NY are the best, but a milder seasoned dog then the Syracuse style white hot.
The problem with coming up wit a recipe is which great recipe do you want to try to copy
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Goldenhill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Looking to try and come close to a Ziglers white hot reciepe I have a good basic recipe but there are a lot of variables in the ingredients Such as which ones to add and how much dextrose,nonfat dry milk,ginger,coriander,lemon zest and detrose. If I could get a basic guide I could refine it. anoughter great hot dog years ago was the Tobins white hot long gone. Ready to start playing :drool:
Goldenhill
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Rytek Kutas' bockwurst recipe is a good start for proportions, but you'll also want to look at hotdog spice proportions, too. Mine has ended up being informed by a combination of frankfurter recipes, bockwurst recipes, Sleight's white hot recipe listed earlier in the thread, and for the Syracuse style it turns out that Len Poli's Swiss Hot Dog recipe (also mentioned earlier) is a good foundation. Texture is still an issue, but I found that multiple passes through the 1/8" plate makes an acceptable batter, as long as you keep it well-chilled. My ancient and honorable Cuisinart with the straight-sided bowl makes an ok batter, but you really have to be careful about the heat from the blade, and you have to stir with a spatula a couple of times to lift down in the corner where the base of the bowl meets the side.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Goldenhill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:50 pm

When using your food processor do your emulsions in small quanities and don't be afraid to add some ice water to the emulison you will find it works well
Goldenhill
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 am

These are not the best, or worst, sausages in the world. But the article may help other hobbyists make a decent hot-dog using non-commercial equipment:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=648

...and the reason i've not posted this more often:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=649

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby masonga » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:14 pm

OK, I know I am late jumping in here, but I just found the place.

Newbie sausage maker (I have one 20 and one 60 pound batch under my belt so far) and would love to be able to produce some of these whit hots. Wegman's is 40 minutes from home so I go infrequently, and of course I am HOURS from the Rochester area. Grew up visiting relatives in Rochester and eating these white hots...cannot get enough of them...unless of course I could produce them at home!

So, has anyone perfected a recipe they would be willing to share yet?
masonga
Newly Registered

Postby DanMcG » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:33 pm

I thought I'd bring this back up for conversation. I been looking at white hot recipes again and thought I'd give it a go after the first of the year. anybody else in?
DanMcG
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes