Fresh Chorizo

Recipes for all sausages

Fresh Chorizo

Postby wallie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:41 am

I have been searching on the site for a fresh chorizo sausage recipe without success.
Has anyone came across one?

Thanks
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Wallie

There's recipes a plenty for fresh chorizo on Len Poli's site:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recip ... RIZO-FRESH

Hope you find one you like!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

chorizo sausage (fresh)

Postby Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:48 am

Hi Wallie, Where have you been? Here’s a good chorizo recipe from ol’ Rytek Kutas. I knew him from his “Hickory Shop” in Las Vegas, Nevada way back in 1965. He gives credit for the recipe to some vaquero salvaje (wild cowboy) named Pedro Bossey of Mexico. Rytek (Richard) passed away in the late nineties and his outfit is now run by some of his family. Miroslaw Stanuszek, one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met, heads up research and development and is the assistant manager.

Mexican Chorizo
(fresh recipe)

10 lbs. boned pork butt
4 tblspns. salt
1 cup white vinegar
5 tblspns. paprika
3 tblspns. hot ground pepper
3 tblspns. fresh garlic
1 tblspn. oregano
2 teaspns. black pepper
1 cup water

Grind fresh black pepper into coarse particles. Mince the pork butt through a ¼” plate and mix well with all ingredients. Rytek said to mix it several minutes to “make it sticky”. (develop myosin) Stuff into 38-42 m.m. hog casings and dry them overnight. Because of the vinegar they are more difficult to dry than other sausages.
My best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:44 pm

...and I've just remembered - there's one from Spuddy here:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... ht=chorizo

Phil
Edit
Oops ignore this - it's an air dried one! :oops:
Last edited by wheels on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Nutczak » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:11 pm

I could never quite nail the perfect flavor I was looking for in fresh chorizo, until a friend of mine brought up the topic of "Mexican oregano" it is not the same as what we know as oregano, it is a golden color and actually closer to a version of "lemon grass" from his explanation(I do not have any cites to back this up) he also uses a few TBs of tequilla in his.

he gave me a bit of the mexican oregano and that was the flavor note I was looking for but could not get until this time.

Now here in the states, commercial fresh chorizo is made from lymph nodes, glands and other such nastiness. So texture was another issue that was different in mine.
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby fremented » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:10 pm

I sampled some from a local store around here and they use some sort of sweetner in it. Frendly version, not over spiced and you could pick up a tad bit of sweetness. I enjoyed it, people would buy it as fast as they made it and put it out on display.
fremented
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi folks,
After reading Grisell's recipe for chorizo, I was inspired to have a go. At the moment I've got about 4 lbs linked and blooming in the cellar.

I've taken some snaps, and there are ten of them at the beginning of my Picasa "piggery" page. I hope this link will work.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ianmhoare/Piggery?feat=directlink#
And here are the links in the cellar.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Nutczak » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Ian, Nice looking link job!!

I really should learn to link like that! It is not common in the states, but I think I might start doing it anyways
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Nice looking chorizo Ian. But, I bet those wines would be of more interest if we could see the labels?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ianinfrance » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi Nutczak & Phil,

I must come clean, it's Jacquie who does the linking, while I'm washing up the stuffer & things. We learnt by watching the video that's linked from the main site, and if one takes care to make sure a) not to stuff too full, and b) to make the twists at exactly the same distance apart, it's not too hard at all.

Phil, they were pretty good, though still a little sandy in texture. Probably down to a lack of fat. The meat was very lean, even the belly, and with 1600g of meat, I only added about 200g of the throat fat. The sausages gave out very little fat when being fried. For once, I really made an effort to get/keep the meat ice cold, giving it about an hour in the freezer after being seasoned, but before mincing, and then another hour - spread thin - after mincing and adding the (ice cold) wine, and before working pretty hard with the K beater in my big Kenwood chef Major for a couple of minutes. You can see the changed texture in the photos.

As for the wines.... I've got a few goodies there. I've been building up a cellar for over 30 years now.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Ianinfrance wrote:As for the wines.... I've got a few goodies there. I've been building up a cellar for over 30 years now.

So have I, but mine's empty, I think I must be doing something wrong...

hic...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Ian, was the meat actually frozen? If it is it can lead to a grainy texture - there's an explanation of the reason somewhwere on here (by sausagemaker I think).

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ianinfrance » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Phil,

Nope, well - not really. I cubed my meat, seasoned it and then put it into the freezer (-18C), spread out in more or less a single layer on a large stainless steel platter. I suppose I left it there around about half an hour. When I took it out to mince it WAS flipping cold, but hadn't really frozen, certainly not frozen solid. Once I'd minced it, and added the wine and vinegar, I put it back in the freezer again for about an hour before taking it out to work it with the K beater. Again, the meat was quite firm, more so round the outside, than it had been when it went in, but certainly wasn't frozen solid. It would be ironic if, in trying to make sure I was working cold enough, I went too far, wouldn't it!!
All the best - Ian
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Ian

A number of us found that citric acid made chorizo granular, I wonder whether the vinegar is having a similar effect?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:12 am

Did you like them?
grisell
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes