White Pudding

Recipes for all sausages

Postby saucisson » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks John, I will...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:00 pm

John

I upped the salt in your recipe to 18g, it could still stand maybe a little more. The liquid:breadcrumb at 2:3 was still a little soft when sliced and fried. I'll only mince the pork once next time, maybe replace some or all of the breadcrumb with rusk, and cook some of the barley a little less and leave it whole.

However, I'm just guessing, never having eaten an Irish white pudding - is it a very soft sausage?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:25 pm

It's both.
I have tasted both stiff and loose blends, both tasting different...mainly because of the makers' spice mixes.
Some have the same consistancy as black pudding, some can be fried and then almost spread onto bread like a pate.
I agree with the increase in salt and I really think the next time I will make it a stiffer blend.
However at this stage I am really happy with the taste and hopefully between us all we can get the texture a bit stiffer, maybe between this and a normal banger would be the playing field.
Rusk would be better overall I feel, but as I didn't have any I used breadcrumb. But looking back at the mix I think maybe 1kg of breadcrumbs to half a pint of liquid as opposed to the 1.5 pints I added the last time, this would stiffen it for sure....hmmmmm.

So if anyone makes changes please keep track of % and grams added or subtracted and ratios etc.
Thanks

Onwards and upwards....
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:23 pm

johnfb wrote:...Rusk would be better overall I feel, but as I didn't have any I used breadcrumb...

That's the way I'm thinking of going and upping the meat content a bit. Maybe even some potato flour/soya.

I'll keep you posted

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Agreed,Phil, please let me know how you get on...I still have 6 of the buggers in the freezer so that will be at least 6 weeks before I look at making any.

Here is my fav and what the texture looks like..the missus isn't too happy with this blend though.

johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:53 pm

John

That looks quite firm and course?

Can you post the ingredients declaration please.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Here is the site but they don't give the ingredients:

http://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/index1.html

John

PS:

http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/blackpi.htm

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/174 ... dding.html

Found this recipe too:

Irish White Pudding Sausage
Ingredients: 2 1/2 lbs. medium ground pork butt,2 1/2 lbs. fine ground pork putt, 5 cups plain bread crumbs,4,eggs lightly beaten,8 cloves pressed garlic,1 tbsp. salt,3 tsp thyme,3 tsp.basil,3 tsp marjoram, 3 tsp black pepper,2 cups ice water. Mix thoroughly keeping cold.Stuff into casings making 2 1/2 inch links or pat into small compact pattys.Referigerate over night before freezing.Fry to golden brown.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 pm

I disregarded that web recipe as not being the one we want?

...and for the others: it wouldn't be white with pig's blood!

Have a ook on the back of the packet next time you're out shopping, John - the ingredients list may give more clues. :wink:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Sorry, Phil, I posted the recipes in an effort to show what amount of liquid to breadcrumb etc, I am going food shopping tomorrow night and will check out the recipes then.
The last time I looked one listed connective tissue as an ingredient...yuck :shock:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks John
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Phil's advice on formulating a recipe?

Always do a tasting with an odd number of people; if you don't you end up with two favourite blends! :cry:

The basic mix I used was:

As percentage of meat weight:

Pearl Barley (cooked) 22%
Onions (2) 25%
Rusk 35%
Cooking liquor 21%
Pearl Barley (cooked) 1%
Salt 2%
Seasoning Mix 2.8%

Seasoning Mix (Johnfb's)
White pepper 5g
Ground Coriander 5g
Powdered ginger 5g
Mace 3g
Nutmeg 3g
Allspice 2g
Powdered sage 5g

The pearl barley was cooked for 2 hours in water with 1 stock cube added. The figures above are for the cooked weight of pearl barley (approx 5 times the dry weight). The first figure is the pearl barley to be minced - the second for the amount to add whole (you may want to cook this slightly less).

Mince the first pearl barley amount along with the meat and onion. Add the other ingredients and mix well - the mixture will be fairly dry.

The white pudding on the left is this basic mix (after steaming for 20 mins - I used cling film instead of casings for this trial).

The middle one has 2% of potato starch/flour (fecule/farina) added. The RH one has the 2% potato starch and the cooking liquid increased to 42%.

Of the 4 tasters 2 preferred the middle one and two the RH one which had a much softer, almost spreadable, texture.

Perhaps 30% liquid would be a good compromise. Whether they are anything like an Irish White Pudding - I don't know, as we have now found out that those are not the low meat content we presumed, but have a total of 70 - 75% pork.

That said, all the tasters liked them. I think they would be improved a lot with a load of fresh soft herbs added - parsley, chervil etc.

Traditional Leicestershire white pud' anyone?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:54 pm

Looks good, Phil.

the three types found in ireland are :

Soft texture as in your photo
Stiff texture as in my photo above
stiff texture with barley in it (visible)

I feel your % are pretty much there now and the meat content is near enough.As soon as my old lot are eaten I will try this out and let you know. This may take a couple of weeks though.
The soft type, in Ireland anyway, is very soft in texture and I wonder if it is made in the same way as hotdog meat is...maybe minced twice??
This one never has visible herbs...or visible anything for that matter, just a pate looking forcemeat. Taste is great though.
I feel a breakthrough nearing. :D

john
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:13 pm

John

From the further info you've PM'd me I think that replacing the 'barley for mincing' (and maybe even the rusk) with oatmeal, and maybe increasing the farina may just about get us there.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:23 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:25 pm

Ok, the progress so far. John sent me the specs of two commercial Irish white puddings and based on them I've gone back to the drawing board and am using medium oatmeal as the filler, with a little potato flour/starch (fecule from France) to bind the liquid to avoid burst skins.

The recipe so far:

You will see from my notes that it may need 'tweeking', but the pudding was thought better than the previous ones by everyone who's tried them.

Whether it's an Irish white pudding is another matter!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes