Getting started

Recipes for all sausages

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:06 am

Hi folks,

Just thought I would throw my pennies worth in as a microbiologist!

Franco is right regarding the acetic acid properties, it will not act as a cure all for the 'evil bacteria'. With reference to Clostridium specifically (causative genus of botulism) I also have some concerns, whilst posters are correct that the organism is acid sensitive and it is anaerobic you need to consider where and how you are applying the acid!

The salamis are solid cylinders essentially, envisage from the posting that the vinegar is 'painted' onto the sausage once packed. This will penetrate to a degree but how far?? The same is true for oxygen the outer segments of the sausage may be quite areobic (comparatively) but possible not so when considering the centre of the sausage, if there is a lack of acid and a lack of air then a problem, in my opinion, may arise. One poster mused that they may not use preservatives for small batches or family destined produce, this got me thinking! I WILL use preservatives when making my salamis not because I am paranoid but because I see too many cases of home derived intestinal/systemic infection - I wont take the risk - even if you do everything right you cannot garantee the microbiological quality of the meat. Remember some (not all but some) of these organisms are harmless natural passengers on animals whilst they are potential pathogens to us.

These are just my thoughts and opinions not laying any laws down just saying what I would do!

Cheers
Mark
Mark
Newly Registered

Postby William » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:17 pm

Very useful, Mark, thanks.

Just thought I would throw my pennies worth in as a microbiologist!

Franco is right regarding the acetic acid properties, it will not act as a cure all for the 'evil bacteria'. With reference to Clostridium specifically (causative genus of botulism) I also have some concerns, whilst posters are correct that the organism is acid sensitive and it is anaerobic you need to consider where and how you are applying the acid!

The salamis are solid cylinders essentially, envisage from the posting that the vinegar is 'painted' onto the sausage once packed. This will penetrate to a degree but how far?? The same is true for oxygen the outer segments of the sausage may be quite areobic (comparatively) but possible not so when considering the centre of the sausage, if there is a lack of acid and a lack of air then a problem, in my opinion, may arise. One poster mused that they may not use preservatives for small batches or family destined produce, this got me thinking! I WILL use preservatives when making my salamis not because I am paranoid but because I see too many cases of home derived intestinal/systemic infection - I wont take the risk - even if you do everything right you cannot garantee the microbiological quality of the meat. Remember some (not all but some) of these organisms are harmless natural passengers on animals whilst they are potential pathogens to us.

These are just my thoughts and opinions not laying any laws down just saying what I would do!

Cheers
Mark[/quote]
William
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:33 am

With regard to Droewors (dried sausage) the vinegar is mixed with the meat, then piped into the casings. The sausage is then dried until it is bone dry - the dried sticks are supposed to snap when bent.

I suppose this is not a 100% guarantee of no evil bugs - but I can assure you that this method has been used in Africa for hundreds of years.
aris
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes