Low fat 100% beef sausage proportions.... please help

Recipes for all sausages

Low fat 100% beef sausage proportions.... please help

Postby Koad » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:30 pm

Hi everyone

Im new to the forum, have made a lots of 'butcher shop' sausages, but have never experimented with recipes before.

I am wanting to make some pork free, wheat free, low fat sausages.

I have some basic ingredients in mind.. but need some help with proportions /additional ingredients please

?1kg Low fat beef (course ground)
?2 Yellow Onions (caramalised/finely chopped)
?2 TLB Salt
?1 TLB gorund black peppercorns
?1 TLB dried rosemary
?1 TLB dried thyme
?1 TLB dried parsley
?1 TLB Sweet paprika
?1 Tsp Mustard powder
?1 Tsp ground allspice
?half Tsp ground dried ginger
?50-100ml water(enough to make it moist i guess)
?50ml olive oil

hmm.. plus some sort of binder like Rice flour..... 2 TLB?
Has anyone tried Brewers Yeast (nutritional Yeast) as a binder?

Thankyou in advance for any advise you could offer :)
Koad
Koad
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:42 pm

Another participant here - _Darkstream_ - is our resident low-fat sausage expert - check some of his other posts for ideas.

As for pork free - you'll want to either use collagen casings, or sheep casings to be sure to be 100% pork free.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:54 pm

Welcome to the forum Koad.

aris is right Darkstream is our expert on this type of sausage maybe if you give one of his recipes a go first you will get a feel for the thing.

If you do make some I think we would all be very interested in the results.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Koad » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:58 pm

I have read a lot of Darkstreams' posts/recipies on the forum before posting

specifically about adding more spices for low fat etc... thanks.. they were very helpful

I am going to try a small batch today. I will post back and let you know the recipe and how they go

Thanks for the warm welcome :D
Koad
Registered Member

Postby _Darkstream_ » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:13 am

Hi Koad!

A warm welcome to another who wants/needs low fat sausage.

I do not know what your problem is, but I noticed you mentioned wheat free as well. Do you you have gluten intolerance or wheat allergy?

You could try using oatmeal as a substitiute for breadcrumbs or rusk. You could try other grains such as cornmeal or use rye breadcrumbs. Or rice ala Cambridge sausage.

Let me know how you get on.

Here is a beef sausage recipe that I have developed from information from Parson Snows. It is for 1/2 pound of MEAT (10% fat finest Angus beef).

Simply substitute 1/2 lb beef for pork in my standard mix and add the following spices:

1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns, finely milled
1/2 teaspon of black peppercorns, coarse ground
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon fresh, ground sage
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspon ground corriander

You can gear it up for larger amounts, be wary and taste test first before putting it all in.

I am now below my maximum permissible BMI, so my next experiment is going to be adding fat in polyunsaturated form to the mix. The idea being to put some of the flavour carrier back into it if you can stand the extra calories. I think I will start with Phillip Berio.

_Darkstream_
Registered Member

Postby Koad » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:55 pm

Thanks for the recipe Darkstream, and Grats on you BMI result :P

The reason for wheat and pork free, is that i follow a diet with a short list of foods to totally avoid. Though spelt, rye and rice flour are all ok
Fat really isnt a problem- I just dont want to get fat eating all the delicious home made sausages (i eat a lot of meat- so try to keep it reasonably lean)

I tried a batch this week with a modified recipe of my original post, flavour seemed ok, i think i added a little too much water though(water ran out when cooking...hmmm)
Tomato and Onion sausages are my goal :twisted:

Apart from the spices, what would be the correct amount of Rye/rice flour and water to add per pound of Lean Meat pretty please?
Koad
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:09 pm

It isn't 100% necessary to add any kind of fillers like rusk or oats to rice to a sausage. Some recipes call for it - but personally I don't use rusk on any sausage.
aris
Site Admin

Postby _Darkstream_ » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:04 pm

Well, what I do now is add 20 grams of homemade half wholewheat rusk to the sausage mix and one tablespoon, or at most one and a half of liquid (water, beer, wine, depending on what I am making). This is to my standard batch size for fresh sausages of one half pound of MEAT before other ingredients.

I suggest you try the same ratios, test fry, and alter the batch as neccessary. Keep a note of any alterations you make, and bake them in next time. Two or three goes and you should hit it.

I am not sure about rice FLOUR. You will have to experiment.

As for rice in Cambridge sausage (I have not made any yet, Parson was going to post a recipe but left before he did), I think it is in fact cooked rice and therefore allready has a moisture content in it. You probably do not need to add any liquid if using cooked rice.

So aris is most likely right there.

You might not need to use filler/liquid IF you were making full fat sausage. But if it is ultra low fat, without it the sausage will be very stiff and tough. Like chewing a bull's pissle.

_Darkstream_
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes