McSausage

Recipes for all sausages

Copycat McSausage

Postby steelchef » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:46 am

Hey Christopher!

I have had not a single disappointment when using Len's "formulations." The California Hot Links were a huge hit with my 40 something children and their freinds. I cut the cayenne back to 2 TBSP, used smokey paprika and Frank's liquid hot sauce in the same volume as the Crystal hot sauce recommended in the original recipe
I've also recently made Daves Michigan Potato sausage, delicious and very thrifty. I did alter it a bit with a few more spices and a cup of dried milk powder.
I have a nasty habit of neglecting to record the origin of my recipes. (Len's locked PDF thing ensures that I won't forget.)
The very most sucessful recipe I have made, ever, is a web sourced recipe called simply, Country Sausage.
This is excellent as a breakfast, snacking, main course or casserole sausage.
Add a little rubbed sage to the breakfast variety if you wish.
Addditional flavours can be added as per your palate, while preparing the meal.
We are partial to tarragon so a potato/sausage casserole would have a teaspoon added to the mix.
I'm sure you will all enjoy this:

Country Sausage

A good all-round sausage for many uses.

3-1/2 lbs ground pork
1-1/2 lbs bacon, medium ground
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp smoky paprika
1 tsp liquid smoke
2 tsp Frank’s or your favourite hot sauce
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1-cup cold water

Trim fat from the outside of meat to your desired fat preference.
Grind the meat with a fine grinding plate.
After grinding, add the sausage seasonings to the meat and blend by hand or use a meat mixer. Be sure to mix thoroughly to ensure the ingredients are spread evenly throughout the meat.
Stuff by hand or by using a sausage stuffer or sausage stuffing attachment for an electric meat-grinder. If you wish, You can also form patties without casings.

Hope that you and others try this.
I love experimenting with slight modifications. (Not so much with Len's!) What I do is grind up all of the meat, mix it well and add the basics. Then I take a meatball sized scoop, add very tiny amounts of what I think may taste good, fry it up and make a decision. I smoke my own salt and paprika so always use those as substitutes.
Am presently marinading a mixture of beef with soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, ginger, 5 spice powder and garlic. I am hoping for a 28mm product that will resemble a pepperoni stick.
Time to shut up! I've had too much sausage and it's making me chatty.

[code][/code]
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Registered Member

Postby Ratty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:13 pm

I know it's a bit late, but i was looking for McD sausage patties a couple of weeks ago and i found this one

I made them without the chilli and orange, and they taste amazing, better than McD by miles

1 pound ground pork
1 tsp kosher salt (1/2 to 3/4 tsp of table salt), or to taste
1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs blend (mine has thyme, rosemary, sage, and oregano)
2-3 tsps fennel seeds, lightly crushed
2 tsp freshly grated orange zest
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
pinch of fresh nutmeg

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/09/good-morning-sausage-pork-fennel-and.html
Ratty
Registered Member

Postby Mark62 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:36 am

grisell wrote:
Big Guy wrote:that is suprising, I have white peppercorns and grind it fresh to add you must have some powerfull white pepper. The only difference between white and black peppercorns is the white ones are black ones that have been soaked and the black skin rinsed off.

No. White pepper is the fully ripe, peeled and dried seed of the fruit of Piper Nigrum. Black pepper is the unripe, unpeeled, briefly cooked, partially fermented and dried fruit. (The fresh variety of black pepper is green pepper). There is no denying that there is a huge difference in taste!

From Wikipedia:

Black pepper is produced from the still-green unripe drupes of the pepper plant. The drupes are cooked briefly in hot water, both to clean them and to prepare them for drying. The heat ruptures cell walls in the pepper, speeding the work of browning enzymes during drying. The drupes are dried in the sun or by machine for several days, during which the pepper around the seed shrinks and darkens into a thin, wrinkled black layer. Once dried, the spice is called black peppercorn. On some estates, the berries are separated from the stem by hand and then sun dried without the boiling process.

White pepper consists of the seed of the pepper plant alone, with the darker coloured skin of the pepper fruit removed. This is usually accomplished by a process known as retting, where fully ripe red pepper berries are soaked in water for about a week, during which the flesh of the pepper softens and decomposes. Rubbing then removes what remains of the fruit, and the naked seed is dried. Sometimes alternative processes are used for removing the outer pepper from the seed, including removing the outer layer through mechanical, chemical or biological methods.

So I'd suggest that Big Guy is right, Grisell. And so are you, as you said pretty much the same thing!
Mark62
Registered Member

Postby bidrick » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:55 am

The Takeaway Secret by Kenny McGovern, has a simple recipe for American breakfast sausage. We found it to be very similar to Mc'ds.
It also contains a very passable lamb kebab recipe.
Unfortunately due to copyright, I can't post recipe, but book is available in paperback and Kindle versions online.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~Aesop
bidrick
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:39 pm

bidrick wrote:The Takeaway Secret by Kenny McGovern, has a simple recipe for American breakfast sausage. We found it to be very similar to Mc'ds.
It also contains a very passable lamb kebab recipe.
Unfortunately due to copyright, I can't post recipe, but book is available in paperback and Kindle versions online.

Recipes aren't copyrightable in the USA, only 'collections' of recipes are.

So, nothing wrong with posting a recipe or two, just not the whole work.

Same deal in the UK?

:D
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 am

Hi,
In Brisbane Australia I found that every McD breakfast beef patty had a lot of nugmeg in them.
Mind you, that's how I like them.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes