Duck neck sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Duck neck sausage

Postby snagman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:27 pm

A taste sensation, this sausage uses instead of casing, the skin of the duck neck to add a dimension unlike any sausage. If you have access to the skin, please try this and be ready for the onslaught !

RECIPE (For six small )

400g Pork mince
50g Pork fat
100g chopped home made bacon
Pinch - Thyme - Cinnamon - Salt - Pepper
Clove crushed Garlic
50g Pistachio roughly chopped
Six duck neck skins

METHOD

Mix all ingredients together. Wrap a small piece in plastic wrap, simmer for a few minutes and taste, adjust seasoning.
Remove any windpipe, fat pieces and loose meat from the skins, tie one end tightly with kitchen string. Stuff a quantity of mince into skin, it is quite flexible so can be filled tightly. Close off the other end, cut off excess skin from ends.
Three cooking methods;
Roast in a pan @180º in oven
Pan fry on moderate heat, turning to fry all sides until golden
Slice when cooled
Confit in duck or goose fat for 1 1/2 hrs, let cool, then slow pan fry until golden (this was my choice)

Can be served hot with Sour Cherry dipping sauce or Cold

[img][img]http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k544/smokeaddictee/Neck.jpg[/img][/img]
snagman
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Looks yummy, I suppose you could use turkey neck, chicken neck etc - will give it a go..............

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:51 pm

Duck neck skin as casing... Wow. Are we at a new level of sausagemaking here? Impressing! :D
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:31 am

Not really Andre,

The eastern european Jewish communities, have been making sausages utilising poultry necks since the middle ages. Their sausage varieties called "derma" or "kishke" normally used beef intestines, "helzel" also called false kishke used chicken necks, but all three have been made with duck, or even goose necks when it was necessary.
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:43 am

If you look up the expression "cou farci", you'll see that it's not unknown in this part of France either.

Wherever you have foie gras, you have a lot of ducks, and the growers need to do whatever they can to get the last centime's worth out of them, and one way - apart from selling gizzard, neck, heart and carcass, is to sell the neck skin either as is, or stuffed.

We usually keep a tin or two, ready to serve as a quick snack.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby federico » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:33 pm

I can imagine what it would be like to stuff a Suri's( Argentinian Ostrich) neck.I get the chance to hunt 5 or 6 of them per year, so I'll give it a try when I get my hands on some of those. We usually dry the neck skins,then rubb'em soft & use them as skin pouches to keep tobbacco in them, or make wallets. Might even try stuffing some Jésus de Lyon mix in one since they are a little over 2" in diameter. :D :D
Practice makes perfect
federico
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:39 pm

My mate does this with the neck of a goose, using the offal (variety meats) as the filling.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 am

There was an index entry in the Valencia ms of the Llibre de Sent Sovi for "butifarra" which utilized chicken necks. A Catalan recipe, this dates from c. 1324 or earlier. Unfortunately, the recipe was lost sometime after 1880, when several quartos disappeared.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Recipes