CSABI HOT

Recipes for all sausages

CSABI HOT

Postby BriCan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:03 am

It seems that I cannot for the life of me do anything right these days and every time it seems that I take a step forward I have to take three back.
It seems these days I may have too many balls up in the air and not enough hands to catch or manoeuvre out of the line of fire.

My problem is that I have been asked to reproduce a sausage that is made the other side of the country with the criteria of being as close [flavour wise] as the sample.

The other big criteria is to keep it clean, and there is a heavy slant on the clean.

The sausage is CSABI HOT

The ingredients on the package are; Pork, salt, dextrose, dehydrated garlic, sodium erythorbate, monosodium glutamate, sodium nitride, spices.

I see three things that have to go but what is killing me are the spices, for the heat there has to be Hungarian Hot Paprika and there is the tang of garlic. With other things on my plate as well as doing battle on the home front there has been little time to do any in depth search on this.

Thoughts or words of wisdom anyone?
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:47 am

Here is a recipe that at least to me sounds reliable (as regards the spices):

10 kg pork (leg, shoulder, ribs, belly)
200 g sweet paprika
50 g hot paprika
240 g salt
30 g garlic
20 g caraway

Cold smoke and air dry (the recipe says nothing about any cure)

The source is here. In Hungarian, but you can use e.g. googletranslate, (It's lousy in converting measures and it couldn't translate the two different paprikas, though):

http://tudosnekonyhaja.blogspot.com/201 ... ecept.html

You can read about Csabai sausage here:

http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Csabai_kolb%C3%A1sz

and you can search for "csabai kolbász recept" on google to get more recipes, and again use googletranslate.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:41 pm

grisell wrote:Here is a recipe that at least to me sounds reliable (as regards the spices):

you can search for "csabai kolbász recept" on google to get more recipes, and again use googletranslate.

André

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

As for the cure, I will be using the All Purpose Cure and no starter culture [I leave that for the commercial fellows as they are on a tight time scheduled]

I can make/create products done the old/traditional way which tends to blow some peoples minds, on the other hand I suck at using a computer :oops: now I need to learn how to use googletranslate :shock:

I will post on this as soon as I have some done.

Robert
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Go to www.google.com . In the top bar, choose translate. you will be redirected. Then, in the scrollbars, choose from which language to which language you want to translate. Then copy and paste the text to be translated in the square below and click on translate. Voilà! You can also translate a whole webpage by copying and pasting the address in the same square.

Naturally, the translation will be full of errors since it is made by a program, but it's usually quite understandable. It's especially practical when you are looking for foreign information in e.g. Wikipedia. If you for example look up the article "Hungarian sausage" on English Wikipedia, and then choose Hungarian language on the left (still in Wikipedia), you get three times as much information. Then you copy the address and paste it into googletranslate and you will be able to read the Hungarian article about Hungarian sausages etc etc...

Anyway, here are the direct links to the English translations of the two articles in my previous post. Please let me know if you need any more help. :)

http://translate.google.se/translate?js ... ecept.html

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl ... 5C3%25A1sz
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:20 pm

I also recommend you to pm Ianinfrance here on the forum. He's quite an expert on Hungarian cooking.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:47 pm

grisell wrote:I also recommend you to pm Ianinfrance here on the forum. He's quite an expert on Hungarian cooking.

Thanks for that, I will drop him a line, also thanks for the info on using googletranslate. Uz old'uns do sometimes need to be taught by the young'uns :) :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:15 am

Hi Robert,
I have made this Csabai recipe which Grisell mentioned. It's OK. I smoked it and used Cure # 1 to be on the safe side.
Next time I will put more hot paprika in it. That's the way I like it.
They turned out extremely nice.
Good Luck,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:04 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Robert,
I have made this Csabai recipe which Grisell mentioned. It's OK. I smoked it and used Cure # 1 to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the heads up on this Jan. I will be using the All Purpose Cure in this as I do with all my other recipes. I will have extra pork around this week and as long as I have all the required spices this should be on my list to make. I will post as I make/dry. Just got to get a new camera as I lent my daughter mine, she took four photos at camp and it died :cry:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:49 am

Hi Robert,
After talking to my wife about this csabai recipe and my own observation, we both believe that a little bit less salt would be better after tasting it.
Obviously some people would disagree with us.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:15 am

Robert,
Just a follow up on this csabai recipe. Most Eastern Europeans here in Australia use this recipe, although some increase the fresh garlic amount.
My friend tells me that you have to grind half of the caraway seeds and just crush the other half to be authentic.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:09 am

I would like to add that Hungarians are quite choosy about the paprika powder - it's in their heritage :wink: . Paprika being the main seasoning, it could be worth a few bucks to invest in a high quality one. The best paprika IMO is Hungarian or Spanish (don't use smoked paprika!).
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:54 am

grisell wrote: Paprika being the main seasoning, it could be worth a few bucks to invest in a high quality one. The best paprika IMO is Hungarian or Spanish (don't use smoked paprika!).

With the info on using goole translate I did a bit of reading at work while late night working. I am trying to keep as close to the original recipe as I can get [I have worked out a recipe base on information from the Hungarian sites]. I talked to my main spice supplier about the Hungarian paprika but it is not to be so will go with the next best and that's the Spanish.

Paprika will be smoked after it has been in the smokehouse [mixed in the meat] :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi Robert,
I am really amazed that you don't have Sweet Hungarian Paprika powder
available where you live. The Spanish variety is not the same.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:10 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Robert,
I am really amazed that you don't have Sweet Hungarian Paprika powder
available where you live. The Spanish variety is not the same.

That was my assumtion on the Spanish so will be talking to other supplies, too much on this weekend as a specile [new account, one of four] came in with an order of 900 pies :cry: and thats on top of the regular work. I should not complane as there are people around who wish they had my problem, hope to have it on for this coming week :?
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:39 pm

I read on this forum some time back about people complaining about the spanish paprika powder. It just goes to show that bad news travels ten times as fast than good news.
Personally I will not use it unless it is specifically mentioned in the recipe.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes