Satay Beef Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Satay Beef Sausage

Postby snagman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 am

Hello members, my local Chinese restaurant makes really good Beef Satay, which gave me the idea to make beef satay snags. Now, I am a lazy bugger, instead of making my own satay sauce I added to ground chuck steak a can of commercial sauce. Usually I never use commercial flavourings preferring to make my own. In addition a bit of salt (the sauce is salty already), onion powder and some white pepper. Next time I will use a hotter version of the sauce (or just make the sauce), and maybe 5% more pork fat (it was 25% in this). I can recommend the flavour to those who like oriental flavours.

snagman
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:54 am

Mmmm they look good.

I would like to try red curry paste one time...
mitchamus
Registered Member

Re: Satay Beef Sausage

Postby vickis » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi mitchamus,

I've been thinking of doing satay as well, so thanks for your recipe. I thought I'd try to add some crushed macadamias as well, have you put nuts in any of yours, if so how did it go?
:-)
Vicki
vickis
Newly Registered

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi,
I have made many styles of sate sausages over the years, the best flavour I found in a commercial sate sauce was by "Jimmy's" sold virtually everywhere in the world at chinese grocery stores. It comes from Hong Kong I recall. White and green label.
If you want add heat, sambal oelek does the trick very well.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Thewitt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:30 am

Satay sauce is very easy to make, however every stall in Penang seems to have their own version :)

I will be making a satay sausage for a local hawker starting in August. He is supplying the sauce from another stall so I don't have his recipe, but the first two batches I did were dry and crumbly. He loved them, but they were sub-par from my perspective.

I used chuck, ground coarse, with 30% pork back fat by weight. Everything kept very cold. Mixed until I had a good sticky mix.

Considering adding milk powder to try to bind the fat.

Any other tricks to keep them moist? Cooking methods were steaming, grilling and a combination of the two. Lots of fat simply escaped in cooking...
Thewitt
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:13 pm

The Witt,
I have used low fat milk powder with good results as well as Soy concentrate and Soy Isolate. The latter two are different in the quantities used. You can also use Phosphate, the usage is 2 gram per kilo for Australian stock, I never used it but some members swear by it as a moisture retainer in sausages.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Thewitt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:43 am

Just wanted to update that double grinding and even more mixing fixed my dry sausage problem. The satay sausages are in his stall now - a month early - and selling very well.

He wants me to continue to work on a recipe for a halal version - though my kitchen is not halal...

-t
Thewitt
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes