Riley's Traditional Sausages

Recipes for all sausages

Riley's Traditional Sausages

Postby vagreys » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh, boy. My daughters have asked me to produce a sausage similar to the one they decided they liked from Sainsbury's. It was 10 sausages for a Pound. Turns out to be Riley's Traditional Pork Sausages (C.H. Sausage Co., Manchester).
Pork 46%, Water, Rusk (Wheat Flour, Salt, Raising Agent: Ammonium Carbonate), Pork Fat, Pork Rinds, Seasoning (Salt, White Pepper, Marjoram, Ground Spices, Herbs, Preservatives: Sodium Metabisulphite, Stabiliser: Diphosphate, Antioxidants: Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid), Pea Flour, Beef Protein Casing.

I know it contains celery. The girls think it contains sage. Any guesses as to what the "ground spices" and "herbs" might be? Any guesses on how much rusk and rind emulsion there might be?

I'm not over there to taste them, but my daughter swore they only contained sage, salt and pepper, and rusk, which would make them a Lincolnshire Sausage in Lincolnshire, but nowhere else.

I don't really want to reproduce this sausage, but I would like to produce one with similar seasoning, but without all the rind emulsion and additives. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Why not start with Wheels' "Not Lincolnshire" and go from there. He has a nice amount of sage in it. Plus I've heard it was very good.
And what makes you think they have celery in them, if you never had them?
Just curious.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 pm

DanMcG wrote:...And what makes you think they have celery in them, if you never had them?
Just curious

The ingredient/nutrition information page on the Sainsbury's site, where I pulled the ingredient list. The warnings mention that it contains celery.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:35 pm

Is it possible they're using celery as a source for nitrites?
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:51 am

Wunderdave wrote:Is it possible they're using celery as a source for nitrites?

Although a Lincolnshire would be a fresh sausage, They might add it for color maybe. But who would want a pink fresh sausage.
Ok I'm just talking out loud here.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:00 am

DanMcG wrote:But who would want a pink fresh sausage.
Ok I'm just talking out loud here.

In Texas most fresh sausage is pink. It is beef and hot smoked. Just saying...
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:00 am

I think the nitrates from the celery juice powder would give them a longer shelf life in the store. I'm more amazed that they are less than 50 % pork. :shock: I agree that a Lincolnshire would be the place to start and even if it's not quite right, at least you can eat the experiment. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:51 am

I'll bet that they'd be very toothsome with cooked-up rind in them.

:)
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:18 pm

46% pork? Sounds like a sausage sandwich in a casing.
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:24 pm

DiggingDogFarm wrote:I'll bet that they'd be very toothsome with cooked-up rind in them.

Paul Bertolli includes boiled rind in some of his Italian sausage recipes (see Cooking by Hand). Given the cost of this sausage and the pork content, and the fact that water is the second ingredient, I suspect that this is a pork rind emulsion used to increase the gross protein content without adding meat. I could be wrong, of course.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby SausageBoy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Saucisse de Couenne is usually close to half-cooked rind.
Loved mainly for the texture.

SausageBoy
Registered Member

Re: Riley's Traditional Sausages

Postby Mark62 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:16 pm

vagreys wrote:Oh, boy. My daughters have asked me to produce a sausage similar to the one they decided they liked from Sainsbury's. It was 10 sausages for a Pound. Turns out to be Riley's Traditional Pork Sausages (C.H. Sausage Co., Manchester).
Pork 46%, Water, Rusk (Wheat Flour, Salt, Raising Agent: Ammonium Carbonate), Pork Fat, Pork Rinds, Seasoning (Salt, White Pepper, Marjoram, Ground Spices, Herbs, Preservatives: Sodium Metabisulphite, Stabiliser: Diphosphate, Antioxidants: Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid), Pea Flour, Beef Protein Casing.

I know it contains celery. The girls think it contains sage. Any guesses as to what the "ground spices" and "herbs" might be? Any guesses on how much rusk and rind emulsion there might be?

I'm not over there to taste them, but my daughter swore they only contained sage, salt and pepper, and rusk, which would make them a Lincolnshire Sausage in Lincolnshire, but nowhere else.

I don't really want to reproduce this sausage, but I would like to produce one with similar seasoning, but without all the rind emulsion and additives. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Ten sausages for a pound (I'm assuming not to a pound)?

Whoever gave them those needs shooting: lips and arseholes, rind and mechanically recovered stuff found on the factory floor and goodness knows what else by the sound of it. Aaaah, the subtle tang of the traditional pea flour.......

If they only contained sage, salt, pepper and rusk they sure as hell didn't come from a supermarket!

Can I suggest that you lovingly slap your daughters upside their heads and make them something that won't kill them? Or that actually tastes good......

As you were!
Mark62
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Tom Ive been looking at the JS website and the Nutritional values dont stack up the figures for 34 gms are more than 100 gms.
Makes it a bit difficult to try and work out ingredients accuratley
Its usual to list ingredients in decending order.
So the main herb is marjoram (oregano in US I think) Is it possible this is what is being taken as sage?
spices may include mace,nutmeg and/or ginger

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =263344046
This shows a similar sausage from tesco, you can probably get an idea of the construction which may be important.
Ill take one for the team and see if I can buy a pack at my local Sainsbury
Its a small branch but Ill post back in a couple of days.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:26 pm

SausageBoy wrote:Saucisse de Couenne is usually close to half-cooked rind.
Loved mainly for the texture.

SausageBoy, my new source for back fat still has rind on each square, so I thought I would try making some sausages that call for rind, like one of the Bertolli Italian Sausages. I'll consider the Saucisse de Couenne, too. Haven't done much with the French sausages, and I ought to.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Re: Riley's Traditional Sausages

Postby vagreys » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Mark62 wrote:Ten sausages for a pound (I'm assuming not to a pound)?...Can I suggest that you lovingly slap your daughters upside their heads and make them something that won't kill them? Or that actually tastes good...

Mark62, I share your dismay. At the time, my daughter was a starving student at UWE, but there is still no accounting for taste. My other daughter visited over Christmas, that year, and was infected, I think. I absolutely intend to make something that actually tastes good, and is of better quality. And it was £1/340g unit of ten 34g sausages, apparently.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes