Pineapple Sausage Recipe Wanted

Recipes for all sausages

Pineapple Sausage Recipe Wanted

Postby sawhorseray » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:49 pm

I'm a newbie to this site, seems to be a world of information and passion for sausage making here. I process wild hogs I've hunted into sausage, usually some form of Italian mild or spicy, 50% domestic pork butt works well for me. I have quite a bit of dehydrated pineapple that I'd like to incorporate into a sausage, possibly with maple syrup or brown sugar. I searched the recipe section for "pineapple" and came up blank. Does anyone have a proven recipe that calls for pineapple they'd like to share? I'm set-up for fresh and smoked sausage options, any help will be greatly appreciated. RAY
sawhorseray
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 am

I couldn't believe it - there's a company that actually makes pineapple sausages!

http://www.evergoodfoods.com/products/a ... -pineapple

There's a breakdown of the ingredients:

http://www.evergoodfoods.com/products/a ... =pineapple

They may form a starting point for you?

HTH

Oh, welcome to the forum! :D :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sawhorseray » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:38 am

I saw their sausage in a grocery store I was at the other day, that's what gave me the idea! They make their sausage in San francisco, my hometown and about 70 miles from where I live now. I found the info you sent on their website today, but they say nothing about the spices used other than just "spices". I'm tinkering with formulas and might try to process this recipe for a test batch next Monday, might put it in the smoker on Tuesday.

Pineapple Sausage

12&1/2-lbs ground pork
3-cups dried pineapple (rehydrated)
1-cup dry non-fat milk
5-tbsp salt
6-tbsp sugar (brown or white)
2 -tbsp white pepper
3/4-tsp pineapple flavoring
1&1/2-tsp allspice
1-tsp ginger
1-tsp nutmeg
½-tsp ground clove
2&1/2-tsp Instacure #1 (only if smoking)
Life is good!
sawhorseray
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:41 am

Good luck! I hope they work out OK - I'd go easy on the clove - but that's a personal preference.

Phil :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sawhorseray » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:39 am

Yeah, seems my wife doesn't want any clove, or any nutmeg or ginger either. I've never used any of that stuff, seems I never will. I DO agree with you, I've never cared for clove. I just thought that folks seem to make a holiday ham with pineapple tooth-picked into it, along with penetrating the ham full of cloves and covering the ham with a nice layer of maple syrup. My wife doesn't much know how to boil water, but she does know what she doesn't like. Back to the drawing board. RAY
Life is good!
sawhorseray
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Well, one thing I do know is never to argue with the wife!

Phil :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dogfish » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Clove/nutmeg changes flavour pretty quick. If your wife like hotdogs, the main spice is mace which comes off of nutmeg, and if cocktail weenies then the main spice I believe is nutmeg.

You could use allspice maybe or spiced rum or something like that? Sounds really interesting.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Re:

Postby stonerkyle » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:31 pm

sawhorseray wrote:I saw their sausage in a grocery store I was at the other day, that's what gave me the idea! They make their sausage in San francisco, my hometown and about 70 miles from where I live now. I found the info you sent on their website today, but they say nothing about the spices used other than just "spices". I'm tinkering with formulas and might try to process this recipe for a test batch next Monday, might put it in the smoker on Tuesday.

Pineapple Sausage

12&1/2-lbs ground pork
3-cups dried pineapple (rehydrated)
1-cup dry non-fat milk
5-tbsp salt
6-tbsp sugar (brown or white)
2 -tbsp white pepper
3/4-tsp pineapple flavoring
1&1/2-tsp allspice
1-tsp ginger
1-tsp nutmeg
½-tsp ground clove
2&1/2-tsp Instacure #1 (only if smoking)

Hey Ray,

I am looking for a tested sweet/savory/spicy pineapple saugage recipe. Did you ever get a good recipe nailed down?

Kyle
stonerkyle
Newly Registered

Re: Pineapple Sausage Recipe Wanted

Postby JerBear » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm curious if this recipe worked out as well. I thought I'd read that an enzyme in pineapple makes terrible sausage via not allowing the meat to bind properly... maybe using the dehydrated bypasses that?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:30 am

Pineapple , Nashi Pear ,Kiwi Fruit and Papaya(Paw Paw) all have the enzyme ,I think it breaks down protein ???.

Pineapple juice is used in lots of marinades for that reason.

If you left meat for a day or two covered with bromelain, it would be noticeably mushy, so much so that you wouldn't want to eat it.
When used shortly before cooking, however, bromelain efficiently softens the steak for chewing, but leaves it firm enough to enjoy its taste.
The enzymes are neutralized by heat of about 158 degrees Fahrenheit (70 degrees Celsius), so they stop working once cooked.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innova ... steak1.htm
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby Goaty » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Bromelain, or papain, do indeed tenderise meat. If you leave a marinade on too long then it will turn the meat to mush.

We went to my mother in law's home city in Brasil & stayed in a hotel that had an outdoor dining area with fresh fruit for breakfast. The staff would chop up papaya into extra small bits & leave them on a table to one side.

The birds would arrive & eat the papaya to help with their digestion & they stayed away from the fresh fruit display!

Back on topic, there is a recipe for a Jerk style sausage in the 4505 meats sausage book that has pineapple in.

I can post the recipe if you'd like.
Goaty
Registered Member

Postby sawhorseray » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:35 pm

This post was from some time back and I remember all too well how this recipe DID NOT work out for me.. The grinding and stuffing went as normal, when the sausage links were placed in my smoker after a short period of time the casings dissolved, nothing but a gooey mess on the bottom of my smoker. Tried another effort afterwards where I placed the links on the wire racks instead of hanging them in the smoker, smoked them for a short period, then moved the batch inside to finish them by poaching in a 165º bath. Same result as before, casings dissolved, entire effort in the garbage. I gave up on pineapple after that. Pineapple and Papaya are two fruits that deteriorate meat I found out later, a bit TOO late. RAY
Life is good!
sawhorseray
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Pineapple will denature pork protein in a big way. Great short term tenderiser but more than that = goo!
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm wondering how the aforementioned Evergood and Aidell's make a pineapple sausage https://aidells.com/product/101... In another forum one member mentioned that cooking the fruit kills the enzyme but I don't necessarily want a cooked fruit flavor. There has to be a way....

EDIT: A little more info... Evergood's ingredients actually listed the pineapple as a powder, a short interwebs search showed me that it's easily gotten (at least here in the US). http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/pineapple-juice-powder-8-oz Might be ordering some soon! I also sent out tweet to Bruce Aidells, I'll update if he responds...
JerBear
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes