How to Make Juicy Beef Sausage??

Recipes for all sausages

Postby BriCan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:25 am

It’s not the ‘healthy’ eating that caught my eye --- I seem to recall an add on TV that proves a point, the protein content is what I was looking at and for the life of me I wonder where the beef (content) is :shock:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3n4x4 ... -comme_fun
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:57 pm

BriCan wrote:I wonder where the beef (content) is :shock:

I'm not sure what the wonderment is. Beef is the number one ingredient. The meat to fat ratio is what affects the amount of protein per serving. I just pulled a package of 80/20 ground beef from the fridge and here is the comparison for a 57g serving:

Total Fat:
Ground Beef - 11g
Sausage - 15g

Protein:
Ground Beef - 10.5g
Sausage - 7g

There's the beef. Apparently 57g of beef does not equal 57g of protein. Similarly 57g of beef minus 11g of fat does not equal 46g of protein. Maybe that is what you were expecting.

No place would survive in Texas by adding rusk or other filler to a beef sausage. Some use soy protein, but this one does not.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Yeah stuff like that can be unexpected -- I think a boiled egg has something like 78 calories and 7 grams of protein. I'm not going to devote a hobby, however, to the perfect boil of eggs.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:37 pm

salumi512 wrote:I'm not sure what the wonderment is. Beef is the number one ingredient.

The thing about a Nutrition label it was brought about to give Joe public a fighting chance to eat healthy so that manufactures (bigger than myself and possibly some about my size) could not put miscellaneous items into their manufactured products. My labels have been in effect since 2006 when it became the law up this end.

In the beginning all items for sale wholesale had to go to a government authorized facility to be tested and when you payees your money you got your label plus letter ok’ing the usage. As you say there is beef in the product and all items have to be on the label from the most to the least in descending order.

The problem is that over the years large (and some small) manufactures have found ways to keep cost down, Jamie Oliver in the UK some years ago exposed how it is done. Putting ‘Beef’ on a label as a number one ingredient is in ‘most’ cases (not all) a hood wink to the general public as this ‘will’ cover just about ‘anything’ that is beef.

Reading the protein number will (unless they have found other ways) give you the actual content of ‘meat’

The following is my label for beef sausage which does have a ‘small’ amount of filler (Rusk) which has brought down the protein number slightly

Compare ‘all’ the numbers and you will see the fat content is low and this is for beef that is about 70/30

Beef Sausage
Lean Ground Beef Rusk Spices Salt Lean Boeuf haché Biscotte Épices Sel Keep Frozen/Garder congelé
Nutrition Facts per100g
Valeur Nutritive par100g
Amount %Daily Value
Teneur % Valeur Quotidienne
Calories/Calories 161
Fat/Lipides 5g 8%
Saturated/Saturée 2g 10%
+Trans/Trans 0g 0g
Cholesterol/Cholestérol 53mg
Sodium/Sodium 440mg 18%
Carbohydrate/Glucides 1g 0%
Fiber/Fibres 0g 0%
Sugar/Sucres 0g
Protein/Protéines 21g
Vitamin A/Vitamine A 0%
Vitamin C/ Vitamine C 0%
Calcium/ Calcium 1%
Iron/Fer 8%
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:31 pm

BriCan wrote:Compare ‘all’ the numbers and you will see the fat content is low and this is for beef that is about 70/30

Really? :shock:
The USDA's numbers must really be off then.

70/30 Ground Beef.....

90/10 Ground Beef.....

Their definition of ground beef.......

GROUND BEEF:

May not contain added fat. Maximum total fat 30 percent. Cheek meat is permitted up to
25 percent and must be declared in the ingredients statement. For more than 25 percent,
show as —Ground Beef and Cheek Meat,“ all the same size.

Beef of skeletal origin, or from the diaphragm or esophagus (weasand) may be used in
the preparation of chopped beef, ground beef, or hamburger. Heart meat and tongue meat
as organ meats are not acceptable ingredients in chopped beef, ground beef, or
hamburger.

~Martin :?:
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:10 pm

BriCan wrote:Reading the protein number will (unless they have found other ways) give you the actual content of ‘meat’

I think this assumption is wrong based on what I pulled off my 80/20 ground beef label. It is pure ground chuck, and the fat plus protein don't add up to a total serving.

For a 57g serving there is 11g of fat and 10.5g of protein. So, this tells me that protein does not equate to meat content. Maybe the rest is the amount of water in the meat, and if completely dehydrated you'd be left with 10.5 grams of protein. That at least makes sense.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:39 pm

salumi512 wrote:
BriCan wrote:Reading the protein number will (unless they have found other ways) give you the actual content of ‘meat’

I think this assumption is wrong based on what I pulled off my 80/20 ground beef label. It is pure ground chuck, and the fat plus protein don't add up to a total serving.

If you send in to the lab ground beef and ask for nutrition label/test then the numbers will be close to what DiggingDogFarm has quoted ------ But; this not what we are talking about on the label of the sausage you put up

For a 57g serving there is 11g of fat and 10.5g of protein. So, this tells me that protein does not equate to meat content. Maybe the rest is the amount of water in the meat, and if completely dehydrated you'd be left with 10.5 grams of protein. That at least makes sense.

When one sends in a sample for testing we normally send along the 'complete' recipe data which is entered into the program

There are programs (government) on line that one may use to find out what the label will read, you would plug in exact ingredients (amounts) and press enter and your label will be there.

Beef encompass a lot of thing that 'are' beef and that is part of the problem/loop hole that has 'yet' to be tightened up, your side of the line as well as ours
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:53 pm

DiggingDogFarm wrote:
BriCan wrote:Compare ‘all’ the numbers and you will see the fat content is low and this is for beef that is about 70/30

Really? :shock:
The USDA's numbers must really be off then.

70/30 Ground Beef.....

~Martin :?:

No disrespect Martin but we are talking about a nutritional label for sausages which is showing a low protein number where as mine shows a high number :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:11 am

I understand that it's a high number, but I can't see why unless you're using some really dry meat like bull meat, or a high protein meat like eye of round something similar or if the sausages are partially dried, in that case we're comparing apples to oranges.

The way most folks make sausage the protein % goes down when ingredients are added, unless those ingredients are soy powder, milk powder and the like.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:55 am

BriCan wrote:If you send in to the lab ground beef and ask for nutrition label/test then the numbers will be close to what DiggingDogFarm has quoted ------ But; this not what we are talking about on the label of the sausage you put up

I guess things are done differently in the US? I just went to the store and took these pics of all meat products (plus cure for the bacon). In no case does the protein equate to meat content. The percent of fat + protein in the ground chuck to the serving size is identical to less than 1 gram to that of the sausage. It is 39%.

100% Ground Chuck

100% Ground Chicken Breast

Bacon
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:51 pm

I've not been following this thread, but isn't most of the weight of the meat just water? In which case the protein would just be a proportion of the (say) 30% of the beef's weight that isn't water?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby salumi512 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:47 pm

wheels wrote:I've not been following this thread, but isn't most of the weight of the meat just water? In which case the protein would just be a proportion of the (say) 30% of the beef's weight that isn't water?

Phil

That's what I surmise as well, but BriCan seems to label his differently. Protein + Fat is coming out to be 38% to 39% of the total weight for beef for both the pure ground beef, and for the sausage.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Brican knows his business, I'll bail out!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:34 pm

wheels wrote:Brican knows his business, I'll bail out!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:37 pm

I am on my way for a special night out with good friends and a bunch of ribs being made by a master whom you all know :D :D :D

Will be back on this if you are interested :?:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes