How to Make Juicy Beef Sausage??

Recipes for all sausages

Postby salumi512 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:57 am

It doesn't appear that this form of communication is getting to a resolution regarding protein and meat content on nutrition labels.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:48 am

At the current state of this, I have to disagree with Brican. If you are listing protein as total meat on your labels then that is not how it is done here. Water weight is definitely taken into account.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:11 pm

salumi512 wrote:At the current state of this, I have to disagree with Brican. If you are listing protein as total meat on your labels then that is not how it is done here. Water weight is definitely taken into account.

I have not forgotten about this, but unlike some before I give an answer I need to make sure of my facts

Because there is more information on the label that I am using dose not mean to say that it is different than the ones you (USA) are using. The labels that are used in the US are very much the same format as them being used in the UK and Canada -- theses are called the short form.

Water weight is definitely taken into account

If this is the case then the amount of water added should be on the lable as deceleration of ingredients :?:

I have a call into my counter part at CFIA (as they are the last word on this subject) but he is away on holidays

As soon as I get info I will let you know.

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:57 am

BriCan wrote:As soon as I get info I will let you know.

HTH

That does help, as I am really wanting facts. I don't think water weight is included on the nutrition label, because water is neutral, meaning it has no vitamins or fat or sodium (so no point listing it).

The water weight I'm referring to is that naturally occurring in meat, not a separate ingredient. Although, they do list water as a separate ingredient as well (just to mix things up).

I tried to leave this alone, but I'm an engineer and this is nagging me.

Thanks for putting up with the obstinant one.
salumi512
Registered Member

Re: How to Make Juicy Beef Sausage??

Postby ruthcrowder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks dude for the recipe! This is the first time I made sausage and it worked! All my friends appreciated my cooking skills .

krautguy wrote:We are making about 20lbs of beef sausage weekly for sale at our farmer's market. The problem is that they over cook easily and loose their juices (which will start to pool in the casing). Can anyone suggest techniques or additional ingredients that keep the sausages juicy and more resilient to heat?

Ingredients:

5lbs grass fed beef (pre-ground 70/30 1/8 grind fresh from butcher)
1/8 cup sea salt (ratio as recommended in Rytek Kutas' book)
1 cup water/beer
.5 cup coarse bread crumbs (asian panko actually)
sage, thyme, fennel, mustard powder, coriander, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper.

mix for 5 minutes with paddle in bowl mixer
stuff
ruthcrowder

Postby krautguy » Wed May 08, 2013 6:05 am

How about brining? If I were to brine beef brisket for a period of time, then grind and mix with spices and salt (adjusted to compensate for salt from bringing) would that develop the sausage better so it would hold water? If so, how long to brine a brisket for sausage making?
krautguy
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Fri May 17, 2013 4:17 pm

I thought about this and the beef sausage I'd built up, and one thing I remembered was try using caul fat. I used a lot of it in my sausage and it seemed to have a more pork-y melt point, so the sausage didn't dry out quite as badly.

Also try (on a test batch) .07 baking soda. I know it's none-standard but it really holds the water, like phosphate, and it's a "natural" ingredient. I've been using it and find it cannot be tasted until over 1% in mild pork; in venison it was invisible.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

texture

Postby kimbo123 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:19 pm

new to the forum and sausage making.just made my first batch of pork sausage and the taste is good but the texture is a little mushy .any tips for a more rustic texture please. thanks
kimbo123
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:18 pm

Welcome,

This is covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12347&p=103652#p103656

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Wal Footrot » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:03 am

As some have pointed out, using pork fat can solve moisture problems. There is one other solution if you don't want to use pork for whatever reason. The fat from point end brisket is very different from all the other fats in beef and has similar properties to pork fat. It can be used instead provided you get rid of all the other types of beef fat. I suspect that your local butcher would trim this off and throw it out so it might be available if you asked..
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:28 pm

That's great info Wal. I wasn't aware of that.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes