German Sausage Books written in English

German Sausage Books written in English

Postby TonyE » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:15 pm

I have a preference for German sausages, my favourite was a mildly flavoured Bockwurst which had a wonderful subtle flavour, I can no longer find it.
Some of the recipes I have tried for Bockwurst are nothing like the flavour I remember, my research indicates that a lot of recipes are 'closely' guarded secrets.

I found Die Febrikation Feiner Fleisch und Wurstwarren by Fleischmeister Hermann Kock on this site
Does anybody know if this is written in English. Or can anybody recommend any other good German
Sausage book.

Thanks in anticipation

Tony Edwards
TonyE
Registered Member

Re: German Sausage Books written in English

Postby vagreys » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 am

I got the copy of the 4th edition of Die Fabrikation. It is in High German from around 1915. So, not just German, but typeset in Fraktur type. I'm not aware of any books on German sausages that are in English. I am working with someone on translations of sections of the book and will be posting them, here, over time - one of many projects.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby TonyE » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks Tom for your reply, it is as I suspected. If and when you have any translations, I would appreciate
a 'heads up' if you could post some to me, that would be great

Rgds - Tony
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby jaymo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 am

You might want to look into this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Sausages-Accompaniments-Fritz-Sonnenschmidt/dp/1428319913/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
I don't like the dried/cured sausage recipes in it. They don't include cultures, etc. He does provide more recipes for German sausages than I've seen in any other sausage making book yet. (Use the "look Inside" feature on Amazon to take a peek at the index and see what you think of the German sausage recipe selection.)

Not the greatest charcuterie text around, but I think it definitely fits what you are looking for!
jaymo
Registered Member

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.