Offal Pies

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Offal Pies

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:46 pm

Decided to utilise the pie dolly again and make some offal pies, much along the same lines as scotch pies. I used 4 lambs hearts, 1 pigs heart, a pigs kidney and a small piece of liver. I cut out all the rubbery tubes and excess fat and minced the meat all together. I then sweated off 2 small, finely chopped onions in a pan and then added the ground offal. To this I added 1 teaspoon of mace, 2 teaspoons of black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, a generous dash of Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 a cup of water. Simmered it for about 20 minutes until there was barely any liquid and then added some cornflour to hold the ground meat together. Allow to cool.

The Ingredients for the Hot Water Pastry:

1 pound (500g or four cups) plain flour
6 ounces (175g or � cup) lard
6 fluid ounces (225ml or � cup) approximately of water
Pinch of salt
beaten egg to glaze

I heated the water to boiling and added the lard to melt. I added a pinch of salt to the flour and poured on the hot liquid and mixed to form a dough. Then raised the cases using the dolly, thats why the pies are all different shapes :roll: Fill the cases with the ground offal, wet pie edges and put on the lid, make a hole in the top to allow the steam to escape. Glaze with beaten egg.
Put into the oven preheated to 150C for 45 minutes.. Very nice indeed.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:05 pm

They look excellent paul, just need to get the chutney and pickles out, I'm gonna have to have a go at these hot crust pies, one of the butchers we use when we do a farmers market does a really nice one with pork and bacon in, just gives it a smokey flavour
Wilf
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general