Cook before freeze?

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Cook before freeze?

Postby Upsidasium » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:26 pm

I placed my finnished sausage in a pot of cold water, and slowly brought them up to a simmer. When I was finnished, over half of them had ruptured.

Here are some questions:

Do you cook before freezing?

Do you hang your sausage to dry after filling (and before cooking). Was this part of the problem, that I did not...

I have recently seen a recipe that called for baking Polish sausage, starting w/cold water, until the water is absorbed. Any thoughts?
"I Gotta Rock!" -Charlie Brown-
Upsidasium
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:35 pm

I tend not to hang them (don't have space), and freeze raw. I don't really have problems with ruptured sausages either.

What kind of sausages are you making? Do they have added water and rusk?

When cooking, I tend to just put them in a baking tray and put them under the grill - but I don't use rusk or add water either (though I do add vinegar to my Boerewors).
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:17 pm

Upsidasium

If you are making sausages that are to be cooked in water then don't overstuff the casings. Also, don't let the water reach simmering point, it needs to be no more than 80�C. Use a pot with plenty of water. When I made Hogs Puddings there was a considerable build up of pressure within the casing. They didn't split but I pricked them after cooking as they had inflated a bit. Once the pressure was released they were OK.

Are you not able to oven cook them? I find this and the BBQ the best methods of all, cooking long and slow on a low to medium heat.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

I am not adding water

Postby Upsidasium » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:35 pm

If I am not mistaken, Rusk is a type of bread crumb? If so, I am adding it.

These were Guinness sausages, so it really hurt to see so many of them ruined. I had put much time and money into it.

The whole idea of cooking before freezing was really a whim. I don't think I will do it again in the future. Much of what I have been making this last week are for holiday gifts. Many of those who will receive them are not the most adept in kitchen. I thought to make it easier for them.

Thanks for the tips. I will keep in mind the slow cooking temp and time.
"I Gotta Rock!" -Charlie Brown-
Upsidasium
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:41 pm

Rusk is like bread, but made without yeast.

You can also try using oatmal ground up in a food processor.
aris
Site Admin

Return to Cookery in general