Aussie Meat Pies

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Aussie Meat Pies

Postby Dingo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Howyallgoin? After attending the Telluride Blues & Brews festival recently, and having sampled from most of the 52 micro breweries attending...i woke up with a hankering for the best of hangover cures...the aussie pie.

Since i'm a few miles away from the nearest maggot bag shop....i had to make em....

Looking through the fridge i decided on an aussie classic...the steak, bacon & cheese pie...and something a little more experimental...a curried lamb pie.(mainly as i had left over roast lamb from last weekend) :shock:

Steak, Bacon & Cheese
- 1lb of steak , diced into 1/4" dice( i used sirloin tips as they have a nice fat content)
-1/2lb bacon...diced into 1/4" dice
- 2/3 of on onion diced
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 3 Tbsp of plain flour
- Worchestershire sauce
- Vegemite
- Cheese diced into 1/4 dice ( I used high melting point pepper jack, but any will do)
- Pie pastry (I use pre-packaged 9" pie crusts)

Sweat the bacon for a few minutes in a large skillet. Remove and onion to bacon fat. Cook to translucent and remove. Cook the steak in the same pan until brown, and add the bacon & onion. Cook for a couple more minutes then deglaze with the red wine. Mix the flour into the chicken stock and add to the meat Add vegemite and worchestershire sauce. Stir and cook until the sauce is super thick...almost jelly like. Take off heat and allow to cool.

Meanwhile, prepare you pipe crusts. I make 5" individual pies and I have the foils for them. If not you could make a larger pie. To make the 5" pies, i rough cut the base crust and push into the foil. Trim the excess. The above recipe makes approx 8 x 5" pies. once the bases are prepped, rough cut the lids. Then add the cheese to the cooled filling and fill bases to about 1/4" below the foil. Brush the edges with milk, place the lid and seal with a fork.

If eating right away bake for 30mins at 400F. I par bake mine for 20mins at 400F then freeze. When i'm ready to eat them i bake at 350F for 30mins and it is bang on.

Curry Lamb Pie
1lb of left over herb roasted lamb...Diced
1 can of Coconut milk
2Tbs Curry powder
1/3 Onion
2 rashers of bacon
1 can of honey carrots
Salt & Pepper

Prepare the Bacon & onion as above. Add the lamb and curry powder....stir for a minute. Add the coconut milk, carrots and Salt & Pepper to taste. Cook untill almost jelly like...adding flour or corn starch as necessary.

Prep, fill and bake the pie crusts as above.
Enjoy

Lamb Curry Filling

Pie bases

Steak Bacon & Cheese in the making

Curry Lamb par cooked

Steak Bacon & Cheese par cooked

Wife & tried one of the Lamb Curry pies for lunch and it was great. The honey carrots really worked in the curry mix.
I dont need to taste the Steak, Bacon & Cheese to know they're good....i grew up on them. :drool:
Dingo
Registered Member

Re: Aussie Meat Pies

Postby NCPaul » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:52 pm

This looks like a good project for a cold Winter's day, I'll need to remember these recipes. Thanks. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Aussie Meat Pies

Postby Snags » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 am

They look the ducks nuts.

I usually put short pastry on the bottom and flakey on top
Cant beat the traditional plain steak though with thick gravy ,a bit of pepper and a touch of mace.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general