Bunny bangers

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Bunny bangers

Postby chase » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Hia to every one, Im new to the site and I have just bought my first electric mincer, Ihave made some superb burgers from rabbit on a manual mincer which took for ever and now I am hoping to create some Bunny bangers. I would imagine the addition of some fat would be necessary as rabbit is so lean. Has anyone made sausage from rabbit? Were thet any good?
Regards Jed
chase
Registered Member

rabbit sausage

Postby Davey » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi Yes it is not good - the problem is most UK sourced rabbit are shot and they do not carry birth certificates so we have no idea how old they are - I know I have shot many of them. I have not tried this yet but next time I am going to poach the rabbit before mincing and add some fat maybe even suet (the atora type) into the final mince. Might work I will keep you posted.

Davey
Davey
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 am

I hope you mean 'poach' as in cooking in water and nothing else? :lol:
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:33 am

Hi Chase

Yep I have tried bunny bangers and they were OK but a lot of work for not a huge amount of meat. I used pork fat with mine at a ratio of 20% because as you say rabbit meat is very low in fat.

Personally I did not poach mine as I found the mincing process tenderised the meat to s suitable degree. Anyway good luck and let us know how you got on.

Watership Down - you read the book, seen the film now try the sausages....

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby chase » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:15 pm

I got home from work early today and decided to bone out the nine rabbits I caught on Tuesday, it was a lot of work for just over 3 and 1/2 pound of meat but all good meat from hind legs and loin. All the rabbits were ferreted to nets so no problem with shot. By the way the fore legs/ribs went to the dog and heads to ferrets so no waste. Let you know how they turn out this weekend.
chase
Registered Member

Postby chase » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:06 pm

I made and ate my bunny bangers today and must say, they were quite alright for a first attempt. Heres the recipe if anyone is interested. It was adapted from one of Oddleys I saw on this site.
4lb boned leg & loin of rabbit.
1lb pork back fat from my friendly local butcher, who even gave me a bag of free rusc when I told him I was making sausages.
1/2 lb leek
6g salt
0.14g nutmeg
0.28g mace
1.24g black pepper
25g water
25g breadcrumbs
chase
Registered Member

Bunny Sausage

Postby Big Guy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:04 am

Here is my recipe for Rabbit sausage.

Bunny Breakfast Sausage

7.5 lbs. Pork butts
7.5 lbs. Bunny Meat
4 Tbs. Salt
11/2 Tbs. White Pepper
1 Tbs. Rubbed Sage
11/2 Tsp. Ginger
11/2 Tbs. Nutmeg
1 Tsp. Thyme
11/2 quarts ice water
2 Cups Soya Protein concentrate
1 Cup Maple syrup

Grind meat through a � inch plate. Add ice water and spices. Mix well refrigerate overnight to let spices saturate meat. Stuff into natural hog casings, or smaller Lamb casings for smaller sausages. Freeze keeps 1 year.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:05 pm

Anyone that wants superb rabbit as fresh as you could want then try these....

.http://www.woldsway.co.uk/index.html

The rabbit can be boned if you wish and the saddles are fine for use in sausagew making and if yoiu like rabbit stew then the forlegs and ribs are absolutely cracking for taste.

They come in polestyrene boxes fresh but chilled ands are cheap foir what they are.

I have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone. Really tasty wild rabbit that is reared just for the table....they night feed in the fields on the best foods and are purely organic.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general