Automatic (magimix 2200) ice cream maker...besides ice cream

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Automatic (magimix 2200) ice cream maker...besides ice cream

Postby GUS » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:03 pm

Long story.

Nipper & I used to make lots of ice cream, however last time we used it for 2 batches, it died mid flow, & I didn't have the heart to bin such a pricey unit, turning it on at a much later date showed the unit as still faulty).

Today I got it down to crack the cover open & see if there was anything fixable, & it sprang into life, cooling, blade rotation, etc...

I miss my ice cream (yes bacon will be on the menu) if it keeps going, ..perhaps the bi-metallic strip snagged somewhere originally!? ...but am wondering what else (aside from sorbets etc) it may be utilised for in cooking? seems a shame not to know.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Re: Automatic (magimix 2200) ice cream maker...besides ice c

Postby ComradeQ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:25 pm

GUS wrote:Long story.

Nipper & I used to make lots of ice cream, however last time we used it for 2 batches, it died mid flow, & I didn't have the heart to bin such a pricey unit, turning it on at a much later date showed the unit as still faulty).

Today I got it down to crack the cover open & see if there was anything fixable, & it sprang into life, cooling, blade rotation, etc...

I miss my ice cream (yes bacon will be on the menu) if it keeps going, ..perhaps the bi-metallic strip snagged somewhere originally!? ...but am wondering what else (aside from sorbets etc) it may be utilised for in cooking? seems a shame not to know.

Not really answering your question as it is still ice cream but ... that vanilla bourbon bacon I make that I told you about, well I took that and candied it on some baking sheets. While that was cooking I made some maple brittle, allowed it to cool and harden completely before breaking into small pieces and combining with small broken up pieces of the candied bacon. I then combined these into a rich vanilla bean ice cream that was swirled with some of the same vanilla bourbon syrup that I use in my bacon cure (this was clean syrup that was NOT used to cure meat, I had set it aside for this purpose). I did take pictures and then literally that night I fell asleep on the train coming home after several libations, just waking up to run out the door at my stop last second, but lost my phone in the process so I never did get round to uploading them. Anyway, point is I made this for a chef friend who does spontaneous underground foodie nights for 15-20 people with a small group of other chefs and this was served along with a maple tart that she made ... everyone there was so obsessed with the ice cream I felt bad since her food was amazing but by the end of it all I heard was how that was the best ice cream they have ever had etc ... Not to toot my own horn but it was pretty damn good, lol!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general