Butter Making

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Spuddy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:06 pm

No problem putting it in your signature Shirl or even posting a link. That rule is there to discourage spammer advertising. Your sort of informational link is welcomed and encouraged.

BR

Spuddy

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Shirl » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:37 pm

Aww bless you thats kind.

Here you go then, this is the link to the sausages I made using a recipe from here. I'm afraid my bangers look very basic but hey they taste great. http://shirleyuk.wordpress.com/2008/03/ ... ge-making/

There's some recipes on my blog that people may find interesting. I had never thought about doing a blog until Martin Lewis (moneysavingexpert) invited me to appear on his show and then I started it to expand more on the recipes etc.

I'm particularly proud of my yorkshire puddings lol! :D [/url]
Shirl
Registered Member

Butter making

Postby Hampshire Jack » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi shirl,
I made the butter this afternoon and it was brilliant and made butter milk scones, we had them with home made butter, homemade strawberry jam, and the cats demolished the rest of the butter milk.What more could you ask for a typical Sunday afternoon.
Thanks alot
Jack :D
Hampshire Jack
Hampshire Jack
Registered Member

Re: Butter making

Postby Shirl » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Hampshire Jack wrote:Hi shirl,
I made the butter this afternoon and it was brilliant and made butter milk scones, we had them with home made butter, homemade strawberry jam, and the cats demolished the rest of the butter milk.What more could you ask for a typical Sunday afternoon.
Thanks alot
Jack :D

The cats would have to sing for their supper in my house i'm afraid. I love buttermilk as its so much creamier than milk but with lots less calories. Just freeze it and save for sauces etc.

You'll be scouring the reduced section for cream now lol!
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Well it has been a month since I first made some butter, and I haven't had to buy any since. I'm off to France tomorrow for a week to look after my daughter as she recuperates post op', so I'm leaving the OH and step daughter to fend for themselves. The cry went up 'what if we run out of butter!', so I've made them a good supply. Hope it lasts them.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Glad to read everything went ok with your daughter, send her our best wishes. :D
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby jenny_haddow » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Thank you johnfb. The peace and quiet of rural France is a real cure all.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Pork Pie Eyed Dolly » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:37 pm

This thread has totally inspired me! I hope to be making my own butter in the very near future.
Pork Pie Eyed Dolly
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:38 am

Is anyone else finding it difficult to find 'price reduced' cream at the moment - they seem to have really long 'sell by' dates - it's almost like cheese when you've paid full price!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Pork Pie Eyed Dolly » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:57 pm

I forgot to look out for reduced cream today, but I remembered I have some jersey double cream frozen, so I am going to have a practise run with that over the weekend.
Pork Pie Eyed Dolly
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:39 pm

I'm with wheels on this one. I haven't seen any reduced cream for ages (perhaps since Sept ), and thus have not made any butter. Could it be that the cows produce less cream in winter??
Mike D
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby heatherpetch » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:40 pm

Hi all i got a right bargain today 2 litres of cream for 2.59 :P :P just made it all into butter thats me sorted for a while mega are you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:
heatherpetch
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:45 pm

In a word: YES
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Mike D » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:02 pm

Just reminded me there wheels. Morrison's have got cream back at �1.50 for a 600ml carton...down from �1.68 - ish.

I was in Makro a couple of days ago and they had double cream at �4.99 for a gallon....I'll have yet to do the maths on that one.

I picked up 5kg of pork loin for my Xmas bacon whilst there - cost was �17.67. I don't know what what the meat is like as I have never bought from there before.
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby saucisson » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:09 pm

Mike D wrote:Just reminded me there wheels. Morrison's have got cream back at �1.50 for a 600ml carton...down from �1.68 - ish.

I was in Makro a couple of days ago and they had double cream at �4.99 for a gallon....I'll have yet to do the maths on that one.

I picked up 5kg of pork loin for my Xmas bacon whilst there - cost was �17.67. I don't know what what the meat is like as I have never bought from there before.

66p for a 600ml :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Cookery in general