Mushroom season

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Mushroom season

Postby grisell » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:44 am

Below, today's harvest:

Mostly inky caps (the shaggy ones that don't interfer with alcohol) with some chanterelles, false saffron milk-caps (Lactarius deterrimus) and Albatrellus ovinus.

Here, they are boiling in their own liquid with a pinch of sea salt.

When almost all the liquid had evaporated, I strained them. About ½ cup of intensely black ( :shock: ) gravy remained. The colour obviously came from the inky caps. It has a strong and delicious mushroom aroma and I will use it in my next batches of home-made pasta. It's an idea I got when I saw the colour. It's very difficult to get octopus ink here to dye pasta.

I'm already thinking black tagliatelle with creamy mushroom sauce, black cannelloni with meat and chicken liver filling, black fettucine Alfredo with only cream and Parmesan... :drool:

I'll be back and report about that for sure! :wink:
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:05 am

Now I have to try and move everything :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Ryan C » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Excellent!

Last week I tried making some mushroom tagliatelle using half 00 flour and half fine mushroom powder with some egg yolks. Disaster. Obviously the mushroom powder has very different properties to the flour as the resultant pasta was very dry and brittle and just fell apart when I tried boiling it :cry: . I'm not going to give up on this though so next time I'll tweak the recipe a bit and use less mushroom powder.

Picked these this morning

From left to right, Bay Boletes, Orange and Brown Birch Roughstalks and some Shaggy Ink Caps. I'm going to continue with my pickling experiments and would like to know if you have any advice?
Firstly, I generally only ever use the shaggy ink caps for soup as they have a great flavour but break down easily so I can blend them easily into a smooth soup. (BTW If you add a couple of older ink caps you get an unusual black soup which looks and tastes fantastic with some cubes of feta dropped into it). So, I'm wondering how the texture holds up to poaching and pickling?

Also, the Russian pickle recipe tastes great and it is almost identical to a mushroom ketchup recipe I found in a very old cookbook so it is simple to make both at once. However, it seems a shame to use such a strong tasting pickle for some Porcini mushrooms so I'm going to try a milder one.

any suggestions very welcome

All the best

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:08 pm

oops! That picture is huge :oops: first one I ever uploaded! How do I post a normal sized picture?
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:59 am

Resize the picture before you upload it to the hosting site, some hosting sites can resize it, alternatively if you are using a PC you can right click the mouse over the file in explorer, depending on the versino of windows you are using resize is an option.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Ryan C wrote:
Last week I tried making some mushroom tagliatelle using half 00 flour and half fine mushroom powder with some egg yolks. Disaster. Obviously the mushroom powder has very different properties to the flour as the resultant pasta was very dry and brittle and just fell apart when I tried boiling it :cry: . I'm not going to give up on this though so next time I'll tweak the recipe a bit and use less mushroom powder.

[---]

All the best

Ryan

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm convinced that the problem is the lack of gluten in the mushroom powder. Pasta dough must be very rich in gluten. I don't think there is any way to come around that. You could try extra hard wheat flour such as durum, but it's better to substitute the liquid. Maybe you could infuse the powder in water and squeeze through a muslin, then substite some of the eggs with this solution.

My pasta came out very well. 1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks, 75 ml black inky cap gravy, 300 g wheat flour, ½ tsp salt.

Run through the machine and hanging to dry:

Cut up as tagliatelle:

Two thick slices of prosciutto (home-made of course! :wink: ):

Prosciutto, onion and pre-cooked green asparagus cut up:

All sautéed in some butter:

Added a little white wine and one cup of heavy cream, reduced and served with the pasta. Parmesan on top:

Very fine taste. Discrete mushroom flavour, crunchy asparagus and slightly salty ham. I also tried some pasta without the sauce, only butter and parmesan:

The last one was actually the best. The mushroom flavour came out much more prominent. In my opinion, pasta (especially homemade) should always be as simple as possible.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Ryan C wrote: Excellent!

[---]

From left to right, Bay Boletes, Orange and Brown Birch Roughstalks and some Shaggy Ink Caps. I'm going to continue with my pickling experiments and would like to know if you have any advice?
Firstly, I generally only ever use the shaggy ink caps for soup as they have a great flavour but break down easily so I can blend them easily into a smooth soup. (BTW If you add a couple of older ink caps you get an unusual black soup which looks and tastes fantastic with some cubes of feta dropped into it). So, I'm wondering how the texture holds up to poaching and pickling?

Also, the Russian pickle recipe tastes great and it is almost identical to a mushroom ketchup recipe I found in a very old cookbook so it is simple to make both at once. However, it seems a shame to use such a strong tasting pickle for some Porcini mushrooms so I'm going to try a milder one.

All the best

Ryan

Nice!

Could you give a recipe on that inky cap soup with feta? Sounds very exciting!

I think that the inky caps are good as pickles. A little more mushy maybe. If you are fastidious, you can remove the stalks of the larger ones that tend to be a little fibrous.

BTW, that Italian recipe was better than I first thought. One has to wait for more than a week before tasting though. Great on pizza!
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:20 pm

Ryan C wrote:oops! That picture is huge :oops: first one I ever uploaded! How do I post a normal sized picture?

In ImageShack, there is the option of resizing. Choose e.g. 640 x 480.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:38 pm

I thought I'd try drying a couple of large mushrooms in the microwave at 30% power. I got distracted and only remembered them when they had burst into flames :oops:
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Ryan C » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Grisell,

Here is the recipe for that ink cap soup, sorry its taken so long. The recipe is for one large portion as I only had the ink caps that I picked last week plus a large mature one that I found last night. I find that it is best to Pick larger mushrooms that are just beginning to produce black spores. Then, if you clean them and leave them in the fridge for a few days they will produce that nice mushroomy blackness but it will all stay on a plate and away from any hungry insects.

Ingredients:
4-5 shaggy ink caps (left in fridge for a few days to develop colour)
Half clove garlic (finely diced)
Half a medium sized onion (diced)
Three quarters of cup chicken stock (mushroom stock works well too but avoid veg stock)
Cubed Feta cheese
Tarragon/chives

Method:

1. Gently sautee onions in oil for four or five minutes until translucent.
2. Remove stalks from mushrooms and add mushroom caps and garlic to onions. Continue to cook gently for 2-3 minutes. ( removed stalks are great when battered and used as dipping tempura)

3. Add stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Blend until smooth.
5. Serve with a sprinkling of Feta cubes and Tarragon (optional)

You'll notice I haven't added any seasoning because the Feta is salty, as is the chicken stock (I used a cube :oops: ). A great alternative is to leave out the Feta and put a few drops of truffle oil on top. ( I can't afford real truffle oil so I get the supermarket Truffle flavoured oil which is only a couple of pounds a bottle) (you may need to adjust the seasoning here if you like)
Great dinner party dish especially if served alongside tempura stalks. Warning: For serious mushroom fans only!

Enjoy :D

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Damn It!!!

I'll get the hang of these pictures one day.

Try this:
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:36 pm

Hey, that looks great! We finally got some rain again here, so this weekend I'm going out again.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Ryan C wrote:Grisell,

[---]
( I can't afford real truffle oil so I get the supermarket Truffle flavoured oil which is only a couple of pounds a bottle)

Enjoy :D

Ryan

Too bad... 8)

(I bought them on discount a year ago because of short expiry date. They are Chinese truffles, but just as good as the French ones. I don't remember what I paid, but it was much less than the normal price for the French ones. :wink: )
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby Mrs. Northerner » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:40 am

WOW! I have truffle envy! I bought one very small one for $13ASD last weekend. I was so excited as it was the first time I have bought one and I was so disappointed. I was expecting a great smell when I opened the jar, as I do with the supermarket oil, but nothing. Then when I sliced it and put it into the dish I couldn't taste it :( I'll be sticking with supermarket oil from now on
Mrs. Northerner
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:10 am

Mrs. Northerner wrote:WOW! I have truffle envy! I bought one very small one for $13ASD last weekend. I was so excited as it was the first time I have bought one and I was so disappointed. I was expecting a great smell when I opened the jar, as I do with the supermarket oil, but nothing. Then when I sliced it and put it into the dish I couldn't taste it :( I'll be sticking with supermarket oil from now on

Truffle (except the precious white Alba truffle) has a quite weak aroma, contrary to what most people think. It must be added rather generously which few of us can afford. Too little and it tastes nothing, too much and it tastes like shoe polish. Balance...

Commercial truffle oil usually doesn't contain a speck of truffle. It's all artificial and can't be compared with the right stuff.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general